Fan rattling on my new Neo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spirithelper

Mar 10, 2022
Benzonia, MI
On the second day of operation, my fan started making a rattling noise like something is loose. Ugh! Anyone know on the PE Neo 2.5, if you have to pull the stove to get at it? The installer is supposed to come back and make adjustments or whatever, but it's the weekend and I don't want to wait if I can get at it without removal. It makes noise at all speeds, but I can find some quiet spots as the stove cools down. As the unit heats up, the rattle gets worse. Heres a short video.

Attachments

• VID_20220318_204846336~4.mp4
    14.5 MB
I think this insert has 2 blowers, one on each side. They should be visible with the surround removed.

Reactions: Spirithelper
I think this insert has 2 blowers, one on each side. They should be visible with the surround removed.
It does have two blowers. I have since noticed that it only makes the rattle when the stove is really hot. I will see if I can remove the surround. I was not able to watch when they installed it.

It sounds like something is quite close that is rubbing when heat expands the metal. This might be a blower shroud. Is the rattle more pronounced on one side or the other?

It sounds like something is quite close that is rubbing when heat expands the metal. This might be a blower shroud. Is the rattle more pronounced on one side or the other?
Yes, that is what I was thinking too. And yes, looking at the stove it is only the left side fan making noise.