Fan running opens the flap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
I generally run the wood stoves fan throughout the night. Before bed I close the flapper so it's barley open. On my stove I can actually see the flapper so I know its precise position. Waking up in the night to do what most men need to do as they age, I also check the stove. The flapper is always open more than it was where I initially set it before bed. Im guessing the stove is calling for heat as the fan is cooling it down, so it opens up some? If so, this obviously cuts down on the burn time as more wood is being consumed.

I generally run the wood stoves fan throughout the night. Before bed I close the flapper so it's barley open. On my stove I can actually see the flapper so I know its precise position. Waking up in the night to do what most men need to do as they age, I also check the stove. The flapper is always open more than it was where I initially set it before bed. Im guessing the stove is calling for heat as the fan is cooling it down, so it opens up some? If so, this obviously cuts down on the burn time as more wood is being consumed.
You are correct on all counts. That fan is cooling the stove so the stove's thermostat needs to open in an effort to recover the setpoint.

You have a choice here for equivalent heat output, run the fans and use a lower thermostat setting or fans off and a higher thermostat setting. Same burn rate, same output, one uses no electricity and makes no noise. Some people like the fans because the hot air travels farther in their homes.

Thanks for your reply. Since the Boxer 24 isnt a good radiant heating stove, the fan is a must to release the trapped air between the outer shell and the inner firebox. I think BK messed up with this design, they need to cut some holes in the outer shell and let some of the hot air out. Other stove models that mimic this design have made a way to release some of the heat.

I added the fans to my Ashford 30.2 after the first two seasons with it. I find it makes a huge difference moving warm air around the house. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: moresnow
Except for on startups, I run the fans on my princess whenever the stove is on. During the winter I only turn off the fans long enough to vacuum them off.

I’m actually on here trying to do research on adding a fan kit to my BK Princess. The stove is too small for the house (3600sq/ft), but isn’t our sole heat source. Helps a lot in taking stress off our heat pump, but I’m trying to get better air circulation.
Can a fan kit be added? Anyone done this? Worth it?

When I ordered my Princess the fan was sold as a separate accessory. It just screws on the back of the stove. I’m sure you could order it from a BK dealer.

Edit: looks like the fan kit is available online for around $300

Reactions: EvertonPete

This is the one I see for sale online.

And the literature from BK

I know the Princess has been changed over the years, so probably best to check with someone from BK before you order one.

That kit is for the princess PE1006. I know mine is a PE32 (2022 model). Not sure if the fan kit is the same.

I have a PE32 and can confirm that part Z1714 is the correct part. I actually bought mine from that website as well.

Thank you!! My stove is also a PE32, installed 2021.
@BKVP you wouldn’t happen to know if the above fan kit would fit a PE32?
IF it is a Z1714, it should fit a PE32.
NOTE: This seller is not a dealer for our products and we have no knowledge of who they are.

I know using the fan helps to spread the heat out more evenly in the house, but how does using it actually save you a lot of wood?

With my fan being plugged in right by the stove (which I assume most are), I think the thermostat controlled outlet would be activated any time the stove is on.

I use a smart plug so I can turn it on or off via internet. But mainly I use it by setting a timer to turn it off at a given time. It works well when I leave for work in the morning. On the way out the door in say, Alexa turn off the fan at noon or something like that. The plug I have monitors the power it uses and also the duration in hours the fan has ran. Naturally the info isn’t real useful but rather a feature.

33283209-157A-41E5-8106-8D552BC60EA8.png 17FB0157-C70B-46D3-AFB3-EE9901071ACA.png

I know using the fan helps to spread the heat out more evenly in the house, but how does using it actually save you a lot of wood?

With my fan being plugged in right by the stove (which I assume most are), I think the thermostat controlled outlet would be activated any time the stove is on.
No Running your fan makes your stove consume more wood, as explained earleir. Very rarely do we need the fan on all the time. Really it's nice for it to kick in at the end of an overnight when the stove temp drops a bit. It takes the heat out of the stove and really puts it in the room. So it saves me a lot of wood.

So the plug plugs into the wall, then fan cord into it. The remote stat sits anywhere, I have Mine across the room.

Like others I have Used a timer too. This is the best I have Found for no worry operation.

Yes post #2 explains it very clear

You have a choice here for equivalent heat output, run the fans and use a lower thermostat setting or fans off and a higher thermostat setting. Same burn rate, same output, one uses no electricity and makes no noise. Some people like the fans because the hot air travels farther in their homes.

No mention of burning a lot more wood. My experience is the same as above.

Yes post #2 explains it very clear

No mention of burning a lot more wood. My experience is the same as above.
If you leave the thermostat setting alone and simply turn on the fans then the burn rate will increase and you will use wood faster. I see no way that running fans will save you wood.

Reactions: TheElementalCashew
If you leave the thermostat setting alone and simply turn on the fans then the burn rate will increase and you will use wood faster. I see no way that running fans will save you wood.
No I wasn’t saying the fans save you wood. I agree with your earlier post that if you adjust the thermostat for the fan usage your wood use will be the same.

My argument is if you use the fan without adjusting the thermostat the stove will burn a lot more wood. I agree it will burn more, but not a lot more

Last edited:

Billy Preston said it best....

BKVP