Fan Type

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

What type of fans do y'all use to move the cold air toward your stove (to create convection currents) to warm your houses??? I'd like something other than a "box" type fan or a "pedestal" type fan for the job. Pix and/or links would be great.

As of now, with the ceiling fan in the stove room, the house does get warmed.....................but the stove room is hot...................80*+ hot shortly after a fresh load..................which is too hot for me and my dogs.

I do realize once it really gets "COLD" that'll make a difference, but I'm looking for input now before I buy.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?threads/91633/

There was just a thread about this fyi, but I use just a 12" fan on my floor outside our bedroom blowing the cold air toward the stove room. I have also put a small fan pointed toward the stove.(both pedestals) This weekend I am purchasing one of those"in doorway" fans, to help move the heat into the back faster. A ceiling fan would be nice although we dont have one, as you can have the blades go in both directions during different seasons. Unless your moving air long distance, a small one should work well

https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?threads/91633/

There was just a thread about this fyi, but I use just a 12" fan on my floor outside our bedroom blowing the cold air toward the stove room. I have also put a small fan pointed toward the stove.(both pedestals) This weekend I am purchasing one of those"in doorway" fans, to help move the heat into the back faster. A ceiling fan would be nice although we dont have one, as you can have the blades go in both directions during different seasons. Unless your moving air long distance, a small one should work well

Danke!!!

I use this fan I picked up at a yard/tag sale for about a $1. I angle left towards the living room and when at night it stays straight as shown towards the kitchen and bedrooms at the end of the house. My home is a ranch. It's always on low so it's not cooling the air pulled from the stove room. There's another floor fan directed at the stove on low as well moving the heat out of the room. The home stays real toasty all winter. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Fan1.jpg
    Fan1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Fan2.jpg
    Fan2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 109
We have a little 12" box fan on low that works good, you don't need a very big fan just want to get the air moving.
There are some desk top tower fans on the Target website that would probably work good also.
Be sure you have the ceiling fan running "backwards", pushing the air to the ceiling.

We have a Vornado similar to this one. Very small. Stands about 12" high and 10" wide. Has 3 speeds and on low speed is very quiet. Does the trick nicely.

Vornado fan.jpg

Thanks guys!!

Now to try and find a fan in almost mid-October!!!

If you go to a hardware rather than a big box store, ask. Most have them put away but are happy to get one out of their warehouse.

You could also try a thrift store or poke around a couple yard sales, I bet either will have a fan that's just right.

I have tiny "desk fans" or those "tubo" fans that are about 8-10"s that you get at walmart for $20 or less. I have one on each side of the house in the halls pointing toward the stove room (i have 2 halls) and then on one side i ahve a box fan sitting in the doorway (side were on most) that blows into the room on low. Keeps my bedroom in the low 70s to low 60s at night (perfect to sleep) and the bed room is 20ft then through 1 door turn 90 degrees go 30 ft and then through anther door. I am pretty much keeping 2500sqft warm.

Just a good old fashioned 12" table top oscillating fan set in the far corner away from the stove and on low. Keep the air motion low to the floor.

Hi - I use a "tower" type fan. I am pretty sure it came from Walmart. It's quite and doesn't take up much floor space.

i have a few like Blue jacket posted, i run on med or low.

Status
Not open for further replies.