1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fancy pants 2 stroke chain saw oil?

Post in 'The Gear' started by greythorn3, Mar 5, 2012.

1. greythorn3

greythorn3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alaska
    now that i got me one of them fancy stihl saws, i was wondering what was there anything special for 2 stroke oil to use?

in my old junkers i just throw any 2 stroke oil i got in usually walmart, or some outboard 2 stroke oil. both are blue for some reason. fancy lookin anyhow.

i also use used motor oil for the bar oil, but am guilty of being to lazy allot and running bar without oil. :( hehehe

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    A friend has been running synthetic pull-on oil from walmart for many years. I switched to it a couple of years ago, after I burned down my Dolmar. I was using Klotz, left over from the fun days. I think it contributed to the failure. Definitely want to use oil for air cooled engines. I've been happy with the Poulan oil so far, though I haven't torn anything apart to see what it looks like.
  3. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I use whatever the hardware store has. I did read somewhere to avoid the stuff that is also good for marine use.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    With the minimal cost difference and relatively low consumption, I have been going with the synthetic stuff. I have no way of proving if it is working any better or not.
  5. Butcher

Butcher Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Is it a new saw? The dealer told me tis fall when I bought a new Sthil that if I ran only the synthetic oil they would double the amount of time on the warrantee.
  6. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I say run with any name-brand synthetic oil. Im new to saws in general, so mine are all used. Had an issue with one that was carboned up pretty badly, and running some Stihl Ultra in it seemed to help remove the build up. Plus if I run a little heavy on the ratio or tune it too fat, I dont need to worry about any buildup again.

Maybe its just a mental thing, but saws are expensive, and oil is relatively cheap. If I make another order from Baileys, I would get their synthetic mix, seems pretty darn cheap.
  7. rkshed

rkshed Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Bedford NH
    30 years of riding and racing 2 stroke motorcycles in the woods. I use Golden Spectro in my saws now, ssame as my bikes.
  8. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm almost through a case of Woodland Pro Synthetic with no issues....... not suprising as it is the same stuff as echo powerblend and dolmar full synthetic.
  9. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    stihl oil

Rob
  10. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Literally ANY 2 stroke oil will work and work just fine in a 044
  11. moody

moody Member

Loc:
    Southern West Virginia
    i have been using shindaiwa oil for 18 years now it also has fuel stableizer in it .
  12. barn burner

barn burner Member

Loc:
    Southern WV
    Really? I always used Klotz in my bikes and occasionally Maxima castor (only because of the sweet smell...lol)

Back to topic. I have the baddest saw around, a Poulan Pro something or other with an 18" bar. This thing gets hammered with any 2 stroke oil I can find. If I had the privilege of owning a Stihl, I would probably use the best oil money could buy.....just sayin :)
  13. greythorn3

greythorn3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alaska
    to be honest with you guys i been thinking of trying whale oil in the stihl, you guys ever try that?
  14. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    +1 However biggest enemy is probably lack of oil regardless of kind.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Greythorn,

You should be running a 2-stroke oil rated for air-cooled 2-stroke engines. Synthetic is better but conventional will do fine in that 044 as well. Oil rated for outboard/marine use or liquid-cooled ATV's/dirtbikes is not designed to take the high running temperatures your 044 will see. You don't have to have fancy pants oil, just oil rated for air-cooled 2-strokes.
  16. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA

NEVER use outboard (water cooled) 2-cycle in an air cooled engine such as found in chainsaws. It will eventually shorten engine life and may eventually cause catastrophic failure.

For chainsaws and similar air-cooled 2-cycle engines, use a quality 2-cycle engine oil designed for air cooled engines. If you aren't sure, use a modern oil (recently manufactured) by a quality chainsaw maker (Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, etc.). Unless you are using your chainsaw for a special purpose like milling, follow the directions on the bottle (mix at 50:1).

EDIT: MasterMech, you beat me to it! I need to type faster, lol.
  17. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    And pine causes chimney fires. . .
  18. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    FACT: Liquid cooled engines run on much tighter tolerances (higher compression, more RPMs) than air cooled and require MORE from premix oil, not less.
  19. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    FACT: there's nothing special about premix oil with a picture of a chainsaw on it.
  20. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    No, pine does not cause chimney fires. :)
  21. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    You are correct, but you're missing the point. It's not just about the quantity of oil, it's about the nature of the oil itself.
  22. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    True, but I stated for those who are not sure (n00bs and recent owners) about the quality or nature of a certain oil in a big box store, they can be assured that a mix from a chainsaw maker that's run to specifications can be run with confidence. This is for those who aren't saw/engine junkies like the rest of us.
  23. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Please tell me everything you know about the nature or premix oil. Start with film strength. . .
  24. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Or maybe start with hydrophilic properties of synthetic vs dino oil. . .
  25. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    Big_Redd, I think you are the one here with the refinery background, right? I appreciate any information and am willing to learn. I say that without sarcasm.

My understanding is from my chemistry degree and materials science & engineering work. Although this doesn't make me an expert in this particular field and I have not specialized in petrol-chemicals and formulations, I should be able to understand any reference link you provide. Of course, this is an internet forum and you could say I'm fabricating my background. In fact, any of us could have that skepticism about one another, so that's why I provided a link to a reference and not my own writing/papers. Please provide a link so I (we all) can learn.

Reference link: http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/OIL/oil.html
    Excerpt:
    I'll try to find a better reference to discuss....