Fans, Blowers an' Such ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2012
Central CT
So, I got a blower for our Travis Avalon Rainier® last winter,
and, YOU'D GUESS RIGHT, it's already dying. Granted, it's
on nearly 24/7, but I always had a suspicion these units weren't
really primetime due to the heat. I've cleaned it once't.

Anybody else have a story they'd wish to share?

Thankee.

Original factory blower on freestanding Lopi Liberty (dealer installed during stove assembly before delivery) still functioning perfectly after 7 years in service. I've never even cleaned it. Rick

I killed the original blower on my first Buck stove by over heating it during the learning curve (Used stove, No Manual :) ) after learning what Not to do the next one has been 10+ yrs

Dandy Don: Explain.

Thankee.

How is it dying? Maybe you can save it.

During my initial learning curve I was unaware of how long I could keep the draft doors open with a new fire. I'd make a new fire, leave it wfo for 15-30 min while I was out feeding horses only to come back in to a Creaking/Popping/Stinking stove that had door temps of 650*ish+... even if the fan was running that kind of heat will kill it, a few times I'd forget to turn the fan on, I've come in to the smell burnt motor along with the others. Now the wife and I are more attuned to what we are doing. Luckily my new stove (not installed yet) has the motor mounted from the front whereas the old one is on the back which meant moving the whole stove to get to it... Fun Stuff....

Don, thanks for that. News to this un-newb.

Details: The Rainier is a smaller firebox, what, 1.6? and the blower fits
underneath the shelf underneath the door out front. Our sensor is placed
under the right side halfway back. As far as I know, no smoked wires,
but I think the sheathing is less than what the minimum should be, this
coming from a complete electrical jughead.

The main issue is fan speed. It can't hold it no mo'. It's good for a short
while then it goes down to practically un-ludicrous speed. We diddle with
the On/Off and sometimes it plays nice. Sometimes we get that fearsome
bearing noise that we all hate, but the main complaint is the speed control.
Could be a simple fix. I thought trying the ol' computer fix – unplug unit,
wait, replug unit – might work. Not so. Mebbe that's why I don't work in
computers. Guess I'm lucky that way.

We don't burn green wood or evergreen, just to put that out there.

So, sure, many of our fires start with the door open – oxygen is a primary
fuel here – but we shut it usually after 20 minutes. Consistently? Pfffft ...
I doubt that strongly. The outside is built to last but as others have probably
pointed out, those "hamster wheels" are PLASTIC. Ummm ... no. Just, NO.

Would packing some Roxul® in there help shield or kill it? Warranty issues
there. Wait – what's a warranty but a lick and promise anyway.

So, it's possible there's "operator error" involved here, but I don't see any
breach in what the manual said. It's a fire. Fires get hot. Maybe some of
these makes just can't hack it.

If anyone knows how to hack a job, that's where I come in.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm Mike, Donzi (don-zee) is a brand of boat :) (fast boats is my passion) You being the electrical guy couldn't you hook a meter to it to check loads? if a bearing is going bad (I build bearings for a living) the load would ramp up wouldn't it?? I know elec motors do weird things when theyre gonna die and that may be what you are experiencing.. since ruining the motor on my old stove from my ignorance I've always kept a spare :)

Hey Mike, boats are unknown to moi. The most I've ever handled is a canoe and
I left that at the bottom of Lake Huron. That's the real reason the Indian was crying.

Further, as a Certified Complete Electrical Jughead, CCEJ, I wouldn't know how
to test for a wide load. Oh wait, that's another issue.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing that a hammer can't fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastdonzi
Well next time it starts squeeking and slowing down hit it with the hammer. Percussive maintenance has worked :)

I have a Lopi Freedom Bay that I had to replace one of the blower motors on towards the end of the second year. If you replace it through the manufacturer they will only sell you the whole assembly for lots of your hard earned money. I did a little research, maybe even on here, and got the actual model number and manufacturer of the motor itself. Cost me $30 with shipping from Amazon. The blower unit was pop riveted together so after some drilling and making sure I had the motor turning correctly I screwed it back together with pan head screws. Now every year I take it apart at the beginning of the season and clean and lubricate everything. I think we are pushing the fourth year now since I started doing this and it seems to be working. The amount of dirt and fine ash those motors suck in ruins them pretty quick. I run my stove 24/7 and make sure I shut the blower off everytime we take ash out or load wood. I also try to keep the fine ash and dirt swept up constantly, we keep a vacuum right by the stove just for this. You would think for what they charge for these stoves that they would put a little higher quality parts in what actually circulates the heat...

Geez Mike, I just broke the hammer! Now I gotta put down this drink,
actually get up and run to the store. Worse, opera is playing on the hi-fi.

Jon, that's what I call a hassle-and-a-half, particularly since our friend
Fossil aka Rick ( see above ) has the same make. Mebbe we both bought
during bad years?

Well anyway, I'll hack away as best as possible AFTER I see what the dealer
will do. I don't expect anything, naturally. To me, this sort of thing is cut and dry
and if the engine quits it's probably Maker Error here.

One thing that I did try last night was re-blowing the speed control with compressed
air. It responded favorably but not back to peak speed and I don't think it lasted.

I'm not into robots, but did I just violate a forum rule on that last statement?

I do not know what grade bearings they put in these blowers ( like the lowest possible) but I have had decent results by taking my blower apart cleaning and re-lubing the bearings with a high heat compound, used 90weight gear lube once that worked ok for a while also.

So, I got a blower for our Travis Avalon Rainier® last winter,
and, YOU'D GUESS RIGHT, it's already dying. Granted, it's
on nearly 24/7, but I always had a suspicion these units weren't
really primetime due to the heat. I've cleaned it once't.

Anybody else have a story they'd wish to share?

Thankee.

Not saying. Iam not putting a jinx on mine.

bob

Blade, serious hacking there. Thanks.

Bob, you're gonna be spilling more than your beer if you don't share.
Sheriff wants another go with you, ya know.

With sleeve bearings common on these small motors, they often are doomed because there is no method for oiling short of taking them apart. Instead, I drill an oil port into the oiling felt that surrounds the bearing. Oiling can extend the life of this kind of motor by years.

Begreen, thanks. I'm stupid: How can I do that?
Of course, no pix here. Would that help? I can
take pictures and post them here, at least. I can
also drill holes in my head and post those pix too.

Nice racket these guys pull if true. Nice housing
that's holds the trash inside. Oy vey.

It's the switch.....starts acting up by not allowing full speed, then the whole thing dies. I contacted Travis Ind. on this because I've gone thru 5 switches in 7 years....they claim it's a power surge screwing up the switches....;hm. This year, as in the past, I just bypassed the switch, and plugged it into a power strip to turn it on / off, and with this set up, full speed is all ya got. I believe the switch was around the $25 mark

Last edited:
It's the switch.... I believe the switch was around the $25 mark

BB ... you be da Man. Thank You. Always, ALWAYS choose the cheapest route
to a solution first. Naturally, I have suspected the control and while I wasn't waiting
for confirmation, your response gives strength to my gut feeling. My gut is feeling
the need for another beer.

Now, since you're in my back yard, did you buy from Dean's Stove and Spa?
If so, how was your overall experience? Did they help in this?

Your setup almost looks exactly as ours but much nicer. We really need to update
here. Of course, I won't bother to call my brother Chico. Never ask a guy who lives
in a trailer in the woods to contract your remodeling.

Good sig too – absolutely in agreement. Those of us who become good-looking
corpses never truly lived. Though I don't consider Keith Richards a role model either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beer Belly
BB ... you be da Man. Thank You. Always, ALWAYS choose the cheapest route
to a solution first. Naturally, I have suspected the control and while I wasn't waiting
for confirmation, your response gives strength to my gut feeling. My gut is feeling
the need for another beer.

Now, since you're in my back yard, did you buy from Dean's Stove and Spa?
If so, how was your overall experience? Did they help in this?

Your setup almost looks exactly as ours but much nicer. We really need to update
here. Of course, I won't bother to call my brother Chico. Never ask a guy who lives
in a trailer in the woods to contract your remodeling.

Good sig too – absolutely in agreement. Those of us who become good-looking
corpses never truly lived. Though I don't consider Keith Richards a role model either.
We got ours from "House of Warmth" in New Milford.....new owners now, but I believe same business name. When we bought the house, Wife insisted on the Woodstove....I fought, and lost (of course, always do).....good thing, smart girl. Like I said, we've replaced a switch a year almost, currently hot wired and running full bore only off of a power strip, I'll be replacing the switch when we clean it up, and shut it down for the season. A couple other things we are experiencing .............the door now droops and scrapes the Brass on the lip....they say to remove the door, and tap the hinge pins to give them a little upward bend (will do that later also in case it damages anything, I'll have the Spring and Summer to fix it)....and the "Buzzing" from the Brass lip because of Blower Vibration....PITA

I have a Lopi Freedom Bay that I had to replace one of the blower motors on towards the end of the second year. If you replace it through the manufacturer they will only sell you the whole assembly for lots of your hard earned money. I did a little research, maybe even on here, and got the actual model number and manufacturer of the motor itself. Cost me $30 with shipping from Amazon.

Jon: I'm not lazy but will gladly ride your coattails. Do you have a link to that motor?

BB: I've not had the pleasure of a droopy door, but I've been accused of droopy drawers.
For that annoying fan hum, I've shimmed between the mesh of the blower casing and the
above shelf, if that helps.

By chance, is that switch available on Amazon?

Jon: I'm not lazy but will gladly ride your coattails. Do you have a link to that motor?

BB: I've not had the pleasure of a droopy door, but I've been accused of droopy drawers.
For that annoying fan hum, I've shimmed between the mesh of the blower casing and the
above shelf, if that helps.

By chance, is that switch available on Amazon?
I always got the new switch from the dealer.....I actually have the switch in hand, here are the numbers you may need in your search...2.5 AMPS FLA ...6.0 AMPS LRA...120 V.A.C. The switch that I got from the dealer, I would imagine is the factory one......has KB ELECTRONICS (HK) LTD on it, and I guess a p/n 100-00123.

BB: Thanks. So, they're still getting our cash. I gotta figger out
how to get in on this racket. I dunno what or if a "warranty" covers
this, the one on the stove is out since I got that nearly 10 years ago.
I assume there's a separate warranty for a fan bought separately.
I'll check but I don't recall one.

Then again, it could merely be a "Guarantee". Translation:

"We guarantee you'll spend more bucks each year
to keep your fan operational
."

How's that sound? Fair and balanced?

Not likely gonna be warranteed. I was thinking of replacing the power cord with a cord with an inline Rheostat.

I was right. There is no separate warranty with the fan,
and couldn't find this option covered in the stove warranty,
which indicates Travis' confidence in that unit.

I don't know the difference between a speed switch and a
rheostat, but I read here it's not recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.