Fans/blowers on Hearthstone stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I was wondering how these fans/blowers work on Hearthstone stoves- do they use electricity or do they use heat like the ones that sit on top of the stove? Do they work well and are they worth the $269 price? I already have a rear heat shield, and was thinking about getting a blower for it next year if it's worth it. Thanks.

hearthstoneheat said:
I was wondering how these fans/blowers work on Hearthstone stoves- do they use electricity or do they use heat like the ones that sit on top of the stove? Do they work well and are they worth the $269 price? I already have a rear heat shield, and was thinking about getting a blower for it next year if it's worth it. Thanks.

I've heard different things. Some say it is worth it, others feel it's not. Some say it depends upon the model you have. I'm undecided also. I will have a heat shield installed this off season and I might speak with a local dealer to see what the return policy is on the blowers. If they are flexible I might try it out to see if it is worth it.

It's an electric powered squirrel cage fan that bolts onto the rear heatshield. Hearthstone soapstone stoves are radiant heaters so trying to make them convection stoves with a blower will make lots of noise and only a little more heat. I decided it wasn't worth 100$ much less 270$ so I don't use one. A ceiling fan is much quieter.

If your HS is properly sized, you shouldn't need a fan on it.

They are sure pricey! I went with a ceiling fan.

Highbeam said:
It's an electric powered squirrel cage fan that bolts onto the rear heatshield. Hearthstone soapstone stoves are radiant heaters so trying to make them convection stoves with a blower will make lots of noise and only a little more heat. I decided it wasn't worth 100$ much less 270$ so I don't use one. A ceiling fan is much quieter.

If your HS is properly sized, you shouldn't need a fan on it.

+1
ceiling fan is quiter, and moves far more air

Thanks for the replies, I will stick with a ceiling fan.

My Hearthstone Shelburne is a cast iron stove, same as your Craftsbury (not soapstone, as a previous poster was describing). I have the blower and it heats the room much more quickly with the blower on than off. My stove is larger and in a small (800 sq.ft.) cabin, so it is oversized. If your Craftsbury is not putting out all the heat you'd like, could it be undersized for the space you're trying to heat?

One argument for a ceiling fan: you can put it to good use in the summer!

DanCorcoran said:
My Hearthstone Shelburne is a cast iron stove, same as your Craftsbury (not soapstone, as a previous poster was describing). I have the blower and it heats the room much more quickly with the blower on than off. My stove is larger and in a small (800 sq.ft.) cabin, so it is oversized. If your Craftsbury is not putting out all the heat you'd like, could it be undersized for the space you're trying to heat?

One argument for a ceiling fan: you can put it to good use in the summer!

Actually she's putting out good heat- I like the 350-400 deg range. I was thinking the blower would help direct more of the heat to the rest of the house. My rooms are all open to each other.

I am happy with the blower on ours.. but ours is cast iron on the back, so maybe that has part to do with it. We will do ceiling fans this year I think, though I was happy with a box fan in the dining room, pointing into the living room.

I think the blower on the back helps get the heat from the stove area to the rest of the room the stove is in. To move heat to the rest of the house, a box fan on the floor blowing cooler air from the rest of the house to the stove area would work best. Not sure how a ceiling fan fits into this, but I doubt it would be as efficient as the box fan (but more attractive, certainly).

The fan makes a huge difference in the heat transfer. Without it there is a noticeable difference. However since I have had two, the life of the fan in a cold environment is 1 operating year. At that time the rubber connection on the fan to the shaft motor fails and although the motor spins the fan becomes an intermittant participant. Suggestions would be favorable as opposed to purchasing a third unit

I have just added the blower on to my Shelburne . You must have the heatshield in order to gain the blower. At least this is on the Shelburne. I find the blower very helpful in warming up the room quickly and effectively. It bolts/ mounts to the back bottom part of stove. It take the air from below and pushes it up between the stove and heatshield. So, I can feel the air forced out (between heatshield and stove) from the top into the room. I too have a ceiling fan working. I have not yet mastered moving the warmth to upstairs yet. The fan has a rheostat and turns and and off on it's own. Let me know if you have any other questions.

hearthstoneheat said:
Thanks for the replies, I will stick with a ceiling fan.

+1 Wise move. Quieter, and more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.