Fans for a Soapstone Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
1) What do people think of those stove top fans? I have a Hearthstone Homestead soapstone stove that does not have a blower.

2) What size fans do people use to move cooler air toward the stove?

Many thanks.

Clownfish99 said:
1) What do people think of those stove top fans? I have a Hearthstone Homestead soapstone stove that does not have a blower.

Opinions are mixed at best. Some folks like them, others consider them to be more gimmick than useful air movement. Seems to me like you can get a lot more fan for a lot less money if you get something that plugs in. Putting a ceiling fan in the stove room may do a better job.

2) What size fans do people use to move cooler air toward the stove?

Again, it varies, but seems like most of the time the fans used aren't big. You don't need a breeze the way you would for summertime cooling, you just want to encourage the natural convection flows to flow a bit more strongly.

Many thanks.

You're welcome, sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Gooserider

I agree with Goose, if you have the option, a ceiling fan is such a good way to go. It's attractive, variable in speed, can push air up or down, uses little electricity, quiet, and very effective. In the wood heating season in my open concept with cathedral ceiling where the soapstone stove is, my ceiling fan runs on low all the time. Juest helps keep the whole house more evenly warm.

I saw a stove top fan in action at a alternative energy show. It did move air pretty well I thought. Then I was told it didn't work well on soapstone stoves because you need the top over 400 for it to get going good and soapstone doesn't get that hot. He was surprised when I told him I didn't have a problem getting over 400.

The stove is located in the living room where the ceiling is 8 1/4 feet tall. The room is 15 x 15 1/2 ft. Doesn't seem that it would be worth it there, unless people tell me that they've had different experiences.

We do have a ceiling fan in the 11 ft tall bedroom and it does make a noticeable difference there.

Anyone know where I can get a couple of small, QUIET fans?

Ceiling fan running in reverse in winter would be my first choice. A 4-8" muffin fan work pretty well and can be quite quiet. Grainger has a good selection. Look for something with a low sone rating moving at least 100 cfm. I've also found the standard 12" table fan running on low, moves a lot of air quietly. Blow the cold air towards the stove.

Clownfish99 said:
The stove is located in the living room where the ceiling is 8 1/4 feet tall. The room is 15 x 15 1/2 ft. Doesn't seem that it would be worth it there, unless people tell me that they've had different experiences.

We do have a ceiling fan in the 11 ft tall bedroom and it does make a noticeable difference there.

Anyone know where I can get a couple of small, QUIET fans?

We have a large open archetecture home and we use a large Hampton Bay 27" 3 speed pedestal type fan, the type you may see in a small auditorium or church. We point it up about 20 degrees to move the cool air off the floor and mix it with the hot air on the ceiling above the stove.

Is it quiet? NO, but certainly doesn't affect our quality of life but certainly circulates the air so it helps keep the approx. 2,000 sqft at the same heat level.

We have tried all different locations and positions and found this the best. Originally I thought that blowing the air against the stove would be the best solution but it lowered the temp of the stove dramatically.

When the temps go really down we have another fan at the other end of the house going so we get a circular motion.

HTG,
Jim

The Homestead has an optional fan/blower that mounts to the back of the heat shield. It runs a little over $200.00 for the fan kit, the heat shield is extra.

I have both the rear heat shield and the bottom heat shield on the 6 inch leg option for the hearth mount. However, I was told that the blower could not be installed on the hearth mount with this configuration . . . . is this a case of the dealer not being up to speed on his product?

I don't know about that...all that it is , is a small blower fan about the size of a hair dryer, and it forces air up the back of the heat shield, and out and over the top of the stove. I was going to get the fan, but the way the layout of my house is, I don't need it. My old lady would kick my arse if I made the house that hot. So for now in the cold overnight conditions, a box fan blowing on the stove does it.

Anytime man, the ceiling fan is another option for pushing air around the rooms. My house in a 1955 Cape Cod style house. My stove is located in the center of the house, with the stairs going to the upstairs right behind the stove. Especially at night you can stand at the top of the stairs and feel the warm air rising on you. The only 'problem' I have is that the 2 bedrooms on the first floor don't really get that warm, around 70 F or so. My wife likes that, it makes for good sleeping temps, other than that, it's boxer shorts, t-shirts, and tank-tops is my house. Good luck with your circulation situation, so other than that, how do you like the Homestead model? I was thinking of upgrading to the Phoenix model later on next year.

I agree the little stove top fan is almost useless. However, that comment about soapstone not getting over 400 degrees is pure baloney. Right now ours is at 525 degrees.

I definitely would recommend a ceiling fan in the same room as the stove.

We have a rectangular area and have a ceiling fan plus a Vornado fan. The Vornado runs on low. We used to use just a simple 12" and also have tried a 16" fan but find the Vornado does a little better job of moving the air. But be sure to run it on low. We run the ceiling fan on medium.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree the little stove top fan is almost useless. However, that comment about soapstone not getting over 400 degrees is pure baloney. Right now ours is at 525 degrees.

We have a rectangular area and have a ceiling fan plus a Vornado fan. The Vornado runs on low. We used to use just a simple 12" and also have tried a 16" fan but find the Vornado does a little better job of moving the air. But be sure to run it on low. We run the ceiling fan on medium.

After researching Hearthstones stoves, the Homestead manual states that temps maintained over 500 F will damage the stone, but on the Phoenix and larger stoves, their respective manual states that temps maintained above 400 F will damage the soapstone. Soapstone is Soapstone, I am curious as to the reasoning behind this. Just out of comfort, I don't like maintaining a temp above 350 F. It gets way too hot in the house.

Backwoods Savage said:

Maybe the dealer meant that with the fan blowing on the soapstone it will not get to the 400+ degrees needed for efficiency. I know when we tried using our 27" fan blowing directly on the cast iron it reduced the efficiency of the stove and the iron was just past warm to the touch.

The manual I have says the stoptop temp should not exceed 600 F, not 500 F.

I have not burned in my stove yet . . . . due to a variety of factors not worth getting into right now, I have had several delays regarding code since I have been trying to vent the stove into a preexisting chimney. That said, I am FINALLY all set. It was a lot of work to modify an exisitng set up.

They guys are coming to hook it up Thursday. I absolutely can't wait. In fact, I am venting this restless energy by taking down the suspended ceiling in the living (stove) room that was put up long ago by a previous owner. Since I took one of the walls apart to set this stove up, seemed like the right time for it. My wife is thrilled.

Lignums said:
Backwoods Savage said:

After researching Hearthstones stoves, the Homestead manual states that temps maintained over 500 F will damage the stone, but on the Phoenix and larger stoves, their respective manual states that temps maintained above 400 F will damage the soapstone. Soapstone is Soapstone, I am curious as to the reasoning behind this. Just out of comfort, I don't like maintaining a temp above 350 F. It gets way too hot in the house.

I think you've got something wrong there, where did you get such a low overfire temp? As I recall, temps are allowed to be as high as 600 on the Heritage but high burn is 500. They aren't very good at specifying the overfire temp but in reading the manual I feel just fine running at 500-550 to get serious heat out of it.

My apologies to my error in the facts of the temps...

The over fire temps, and maintaining temps are different. I can't recall which website I read that on, but as far as the manual stating that 600 F is the over fire temp is correct, what I read on some websites last night was telling of maintaining a fire with the temps above 500 F. And like what was stated up in the thread, the manuals are vague as to what is the normal operating temp. I am still puzzled why the temps are different between the 2 stoves.

Homestead: The thermometer could read
between 300° to 400° Fahrenheit (149° to 204° Celsius)
on a low burn, and as high as 600° Fahrenheit (316°
Celsius) on a high burn. Do not exceed the high burn
rate temperature, over-firing your stove will result.

Phoenix: The thermometer could read as high as 500°F(260°C) on High Burn and 200°F(95°C) on low burn. Maintaining temperatures in excess of 500°F(260°C) will cause the stones to crack and cause other damage to the stove.

Those 2 are straight from the pdf manual on their website. Why would the smaller stove be able to produce more heat, in terms of high burn rate, and over firing temp?

The Phoenix appears to be limited for some reason. Its construction is not typical soapstone in that is uses a very pretty cast iron front. Maybe the different expansion rates of iron and stone are to blame? The btu rating on the phoenix is higher than my heritage so they do expect you to use it.

Darn pretty stove that Phoenix.

I am pretty hard set on getting a Phoenix after this heating season is over, like you said, it is a pretty stove. Even the low over fire temp compared to the Homestead I have doesn't spook me too bad, I have never had my Homestead over 450 F anyways, so I really don't see that being a problem. Normal for me is 300-400 F.

First season with the Homestead. I was also thinking about a small fan. Can't do a ceiling fan as they are 8' - no cathedral etc. Right now I have it loaded for the night, 40 deg out now and going down to 30, and the stovetop temp reads 360(thermometer set on top as I'm venting into existing fireplace and have opening covered with a surround. ) Firebox is filled with secondary burn and some flames licking the bottoms of a log. Air control is all the way back(off.) Heating almost 700sg ft of open space - except for a 6 over 10 window that serves as a bit of a room divider. The room thermometer reads 69 and is on the other side of that divider. I need to get another thermometer to get a better reading for the area the stove is in. Now up to 390 and the stove is creaking a bit as she continues to heat up. I've had it to about 430 a couple of times but usually in the mid to high 300. That's probably more because of inexperience and the the type of wood I am using right now. It will be interesting to see what my dry oak does during the coming cold months. Just hit 400 and the secondary burn is just beginning to diminish a bit. Great looking fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.