Fantech FG4 inline fan got noisy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougstove

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi;
One year ago I installed a Fantech FG4 inline fan in a return-air system that brings cool air back to my stove room.
I got some good advice here on controllers, and it worked well.
But, when I started it up again this fall, it was suddenly noisy, with a grinding/whine noise that was not present last year.

Any ideas what is going on? Could the fan have gotten dirty, or become imbalanced?
There is a high-pitched grinding whine, that oscillates a bit.

did you pull it apart and check for a mouse nest? my brother inlaws nabor went to start his boat this past spring and wound up going for a motor job. some how a mouse built a nest in one of the cylinders and when he started it all that stuff for the nest and the mouse herself made the motor throw a rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.