Farm Boss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
So, I get a call from my folks (out of town) saying they want to buy me a new chain saw and tell me what they are thinking $$ wise. I've been waiting to upgrade and jumped at the chance. Went to the local Stihl/Husky dealer and had a long conversation with the salesman. Walked out with a Stihl 290, 20" bar, 2 chains, a gallon of bar oil, chain sharpening files, oil mix, full tank of fuel and bar oil for $328 including tax. I'm feeling I got a pretty good deal. Looking forward to putting it to work!

Sounds like a great deal. Hope you got full chisel chains instead of safety chains.

I've been waiting for the call from your folks about my new chainsaw, did they forget my number? :coolsmile:

A safety chain came with it, when talking to the salesman about it he suggested the full chisel which he added.... so one of each

yep seems that the stihl dealers are making the deals a little sweeter right now thats why i traded in my 260

I agree a good deal! Just watched a used one go for $250 at a farm auction with a case and nothing else...

Congrats on the saw. I'm running the exact same thing. You'll love it, I know I love mine. That's one hell of a deal you got there. What's the name of shop and what town are they in?

I run a 290 with semi-chisel chain and enjoy it. My advise, don't even try the safety chain. Semi-chisel vs. safety chain was a night and day difference.

Got Wood said:
So, I get a call from my folks (out of town) saying they want to buy me a new chain saw and tell me what they are thinking $$ wise. I've been waiting to upgrade and jumped at the chance. Went to the local Stihl/Husky dealer and had a long conversation with the salesman. Walked out with a Stihl 290, 20" bar, 2 chains, a gallon of bar oil, chain sharpening files, oil mix, full tank of fuel and bar oil for $328 including tax. I'm feeling I got a pretty good deal. Looking forward to putting it to work!

It's no Dolmer but it will start every time you jerk the pull cord for the next 20 years.

I'll add one thing, I knew the pricing going in and expected to pay $390 for the saw, add in the extra's I picked up while there and tax I expected the bill to be in the $450 range. While there shopping I chatted with the saleman for a long time about saws, features, what he uses.... a couple of "wood" guys chatting. He was very knowledgable (atleast compared to me) and does tree work as a side business. I never once talked price. As we are walking to the counter he says something like, "since we had such a good conversation, I'm gonna give you $15 over" - I'm thinking I dont know what that means but heck I'll take a deal if I get it. When they told me the final bill you probably could have heard my jaw hitting the floor. From our conversation, he certainly picked up that I did other business with them which may have helped. Smart business on thier part as they locked in a loyal customer.

Redd - In my research (largely here) I would have seriously considered a Dolmar but there isnt a dealer near by.... atleast as close as this one is which sells Husky and Stihl products. Having a good dealer is one consistent piece of advice I picked up on. I'm not a mechanic guru (is that safe to say on a Gear forum?) and rely on help do handle most things above basic level. Starting every time over the next 20 years sure sounds good to me, by that time I aint likely to be the one pulling the cord!

Got Wood said:
I'll add one thing, I knew the pricing going in and expected to pay $390 for the saw, add in the extra's I picked up while there and tax I expected the bill to be in the $450 range. While there shopping I chatted with the saleman for a long time about saws, features, what he uses.... a couple of "wood" guys chatting. He was very knowledgable (atleast compared to me) and does tree work as a side business. I never once talked price. As we are walking to the counter he says something like, "since we had such a good conversation, I'm gonna give you $15 over" - I'm thinking I dont know what that means but heck I'll take a deal if I get it. When they told me the final bill you probably could have heard my jaw hitting the floor. From our conversation, he certainly picked up that I did other business with them which may have helped. Smart business on thier part as they locked in a loyal customer.

Redd - In my research (largely here) I would have seriously considered a Dolmar but there isnt a dealer near by.... atleast as close as this one is which sells Husky and Stihl products. Having a good dealer is one consistent piece of advice I picked up on. I'm not a mechanic guru (is that safe to say on a Gear forum?) and rely on help do handle most things above basic level. Starting every time over the next 20 years sure sounds good to me, by that time I aint likely to be the one pulling the cord!

What?

Dolmers are so much better saws that it's worth driving for hours to buy from some squirley fly-by-night "dealer."

Sounds like a great deal to me. I have had my 029 for 13 trouble free years. I hate to be the geek and point out that you didn't list any PPE in the included goodies.
Where in Dutchess County did you get that saw? Might be worth the drive from Northern Westchester. Do your parents want to adopt me?

I have a 029super basically the same saw, had it for 10 years. I picked up a like new one this summer for 75 bucks! Now I have a pair. Why 2? Because I could not find a third :lol: I toy with the idea of upgrading and just can not see spending the money. Plus my older one would sell for 300 on ebay and the new 361 is like 600 bucks...I like having 2 saws... I cut 5-7 cord a year with mine and other then a bar and a few chains it keeps going. I still have the factory plug in it! :bug:

Flatbed.... Adams Fairacre Farms is the dealer in Poughkeepsie
PPE - already have it so didnt need more

I am a recent new 290 owner too. I actually thought the OEM safety chain cut pretty good, it'll make lots of chips and be a great way to start using that saw. I plan to keep resharpening mine until it is used up. I alternate with a full chisel skip non safety chain and it does cut better but not so much better that I would throw out the safety chain.

Right now my 290 is tucked into its bed, a real stihl case, under the work bench with no gas, full oil, and freshly sharpened chain waiting for winter emergency duty.

Highbeam said:
I am a recent new 290 owner too. I actually thought the OEM safety chain cut pretty good, it'll make lots of chips and be a great way to start using that saw. I plan to keep resharpening mine until it is used up. I alternate with a full chisel skip non safety chain and it does cut better but not so much better that I would throw out the safety chain.

Right now my 290 is tucked into its bed, a real stihl case, under the work bench with no gas, full oil, and freshly sharpened chain waiting for winter emergency duty.

ok which chain is on it right now? better

LLigetfa said:
sm said:
ok witch chain is on it right now?
Salem? %-P
I run a chain saw not a spelling "b" competition, man if there ever is a tread on spelling count me out

Status
Not open for further replies.