Farmi 601 pulling power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I spent the day skidding trees with a friend of mine. It's been a couple years since I have used his winch and it just didn't seem to pull like it used to? I remember if a tree hit a stump, it would stand it right up and kind of hop over it. Now it just stops hard. Anyone else seen this?

Does the PTO shaft have a built in slip clutch ? If so maybe it needs to be tightened....

Solid PTO shaft. I think it has to be something with the clutch on the winch.

He has a 2940 which is pretty close to one of your tractors right? The tractor often has no problem pulling the tree when the winch stops. That sound right?

Plenty of power to winch but depending on how the tree snags I may have to put a twist/roll hitch on it to get it out of a snag. It's a hell of a winch but it ain't gonna pull the bung outta Hoover Dam like a skidder will. I'd run it a day and see how it acts.
If the clutch is working right it will pull the RPM down on the tractor or slide the tractor backwards if it's not anchored good.

What kind of production do you get out of that setup LEE? We were running about a cord an hour, standing trees to logs out at the road. Pretty long skid though, he would have the trees for the next load dropped and just about limbed by the time I got back. I'm thinking we would probably max out at maybe 1.5 cord/hour with 2 guys and a shorter skid?

I use the Farmi setup in urban logging situations but occasionally have done 10-20 acre jobs. Mainly small residential lots that I buy or are asked to thin/clear for construction. We have 3 skidder crews for the big jobs.
I haven't used it for years but I can cut,skid, and buck a tri-axle load of logs/day by myself in average timber pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.