Farthest you've gone to fell a tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Happened upon a work crew in Frankfurt, Germany, yesterday.

Seems the technique is the same here, excepting maybe a bit more height diff on the back cut.

image.jpg

Not to Germany, but about 100 feet after felling a tree that didn't go where planned. That extra high back cut gets the chain out of dirt and grit that is near the base of the tree, also easier on the back and safer than bending lower.

Reactions: Osagebndr
I cut the back cut high like that also for reasons mentioned above. Also I figure if something goes wrong and I need to get out of there I can go quicker if I'm already standing straight. Then I go back and cut the stump.

Reactions: Osagebndr
I cut about the same height, but it is not the height to which I was referring. Note the back cut is at least 5" (13cm) above the face cut, or about one half tree diameter above the face cut. I usually only have maybe 2" height difference between the face and back cuts, even on much larger trees.

3 miles

There are no trees where I live so I go to the mountains to cut lodge pole pine. 200 hundred miles round trip.
I love felling trees in the mountains. It is like entertainment for me.

Reactions: Ashful
I'm driving about a 1/2 mile and the land owner wants more down. Should end up with 4-5 years worth if wood

Anyone less than 100 miles will be ignored. :p

I cut higher so I'm standing. I can move faster standing if something goes wrong. Kneeling and with my knees, the best I can do is roll over.

I have noticed more guys are cutting at a higher spot on the tree and coming back and cutting close to the ground. The township guys just took down about 25 Osage trees this way. Can you believe they kept all that useless wood for themselves:). Oh well it takes 5 years for that stuff to season right. I would travel much further for locust and oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.