Fasco Convection Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammypoodle

Jul 11, 2008
new hampshire
I was looking at my Fasco convection motor and on the label it says lubricate every 6 months with SAE 20 oil. Is that bike chain oil and where do you lubricate it at? I do not see any holes to drop oil into. I am assuming you just put a drop on the top shaft? Its really the only accessible part on top of the motor to get to while installed. Thank you for the input.

The oil ports look like these.

I have used 3 and 1 oil. But as long as its 20W and you don't over do it(to much oil is bad too). You should be O.K.

jay

Attachments

• blower lube.jpg
    blower lube.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 7,683
Perfect! Just what the Dr. ordered. Thank you very much:) What do you use to inject the oil? My motor is mounted with the squirell cage on the bottom so the lube holes are in the vertical axis. So the oil will not just flow in the hole.

sammypoodle said:
. . . lubricate every 6 months with SAE 20 oil. Is that bike chain oil . . . .

SAE20 and SAE20W (as Jtakeman said) are not the same thing. SAE 20 is not like the bike chain oil I use (very thin). SAE 20 is a straight weight oil and I believe much thicker. For example you use straight weight (no W) oils in the lower units of outboard motors. It's gear oil. Make sure you use the right one. I would think 20W.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.