Fast drying wood types?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
even some of the rotten looking stuff that has fallen is still good firewood. I had a small red oak fall a couple of weeks back....I was amazed, when I took the saw to the log, to find that the heartwood was still rock solid - not rot, not insect damage. I thought the log migh break apart by hand it was so rotten looking. Most of the bark was long gone....The sapwood was all punky but there was only a thin stripe of that so I hacked it off the rounds, along with any remaining PI hairs and ended up with 21 good rounds of red oak heartwood to split.
I've seen the Red Oak heartwood still out there after the sapwood is long gone....the heart will last 20 years or more if it's off the ground.

I've seen the Red Oak heartwood still out there after the sapwood is long gone....the heart will last 20 years or more if it's off the ground.
I split the rounds yesterday from that "rotten" red oak. Though I didn't notice any insect damage on the ends of the rounds when I bucked it - there was some in the splits themselves. Not much though....and to me it seems there was less insect damage than there would have been if it had been CSS outside for a couple of years with the bark still on it.

I'll have to bring a split inside to warm up and test it with my moisture meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.