Fastest growing tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP asked for the fastest growing tree that could be used for firewood. It is the second clause that we're all talking about. The fastest growing trees are hybrid poplars, but they don't make very good firewood. I think for fast firewood, you can't beat Black Locust. it grows fast and is great firewood, but if I was planting any appreciable amount of acreage, I'd plant a mix of species. I would want several things from my trees in addition to firewood. I'd want to attract wildlife, I'd want some evergreens (unless I was in a forest that is mostly evergreen), I'd want the potential for lumber, and I'd most of all want an attractive and interesting forest to look at, walk in and generally enjoy. I'd start with Black Locust, then in between put a mix of other hardwoods and some softwoods, too. Once they get going, most hardwoods grow reasonably fast, and even oaks, which have a reputation for slow growth grow pretty fast in a good location. Softwoods are even faster in many cases. I recommend a nice selection of the trees that are native in your region, plus extra Black locust and a fast-growing softwood that I would plan to selectively thin, leaving them mixed with other trees.

Locust does not like Ireland, I've tried, for speed of growth I'm bringing on some hybrid willow, originally engineered for commercial biomass ventures. I'm only a year in and the plugs sprouted 6'-10' finger thickness stems. I have about 2,500 plants on about 1/3 -1/2 acre. Plan is to continually coppice and chip for firewood on a 3 year cycle. It certainly is satisfying to see the growth.

Work is being done at the nearby Ag. college on Eucalyptus, (they even have one that smells of lemon balm) to see if they are viable for commercial biofuels in our climate (frost hardiness an issue) but the interest and potential is there.

Other contenders are European, Ash (Fraxinus Excelsior) which grows at a pretty good clip and also takes coppicing well.

(although not the fastest growing) My personal favourite was Red Maple which I had access to when living on Cape Cod MA, split nicely, dried light and had pretty good burn length. I have seeds and will report how they get on....

yeah, i was just thinking that maple also grows pretty darn quick. I'm burning a bunch of silver maple right now, which seems lighter than red maple dry, and that stuff burns really hot, but doesnt last super long. I'm happy to mix it in though. I think silver maple grows even faster than red maple. I think its almost considered a weed in some areas. I think it prefers wet areas though.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
fire_man said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Do NOT plant the Poplars anywhere near the house, septic system/underground utilities, or anywhere you plan to use a mower!

The leaves come down VERY late (i.e. on top of the snow) and the roots come up through the soil.

Oh, yeah, plus the wood sucks. Wouldn't that be the theory behind fast growth?

Stick with Black Locust. I plant more every year :)

I don't understand this comment. Even softer hardwoods have their place in a burn cycle - they are good for some quick, short term heat when you don't want to build up the coal base. Like when you want to stretch a burn cycle from a long daytime burn to a long nite time burn, use soft woods between the burn cycles. Oak and Locust generate great long-term heat, but they take forever for the coals to burn down, softer woods still give heat but burn down quicker so you can be ready for a full-reload at bedtime.

First off, don't try to understand my comments. Can't be done.

Second off. . . . Do you guys with stoves really have to fuss around as much as some of you talk?!?? :roll: 'Cause where I come from, we try to maximize BTU per effort input. A piece of Oak the same size as a piece of Aspen take up the same amount of space in the combustion chamber (and wagon, FEL, wheelbarrow, etc). But the Oak will produce heat for, say, twice as long. Hopefully its obvious I'd rather make one trip to get wood versus two for the same heat.

Oh, BTW . . .someone asked where I get my Black Locust seedlings . . . I get it through my local Soil & water conservation office.

Unfortunately, Some EPA stoves, especially if they are undersized in a drafty old house, have a tendency to build up a big annoying coal base (even with dry wood). The problem happens when you try to stuff too much wood in before the last load burns down. Wood like pine and soft hardwoods reduces this tendency since the coals go quicker to ashes. My old Resolute drafted air directly on the coals, so the coal bed was never a problem. Newer EPA stoves usually bring in air from the top, above the glass - further from the coals. All I'm saying is soft woods sometimes come in handy.

I'm with Wood Duck as far as having a variety of tree's especially in case of some kind of blight or infestation.My neighbors woods is almost 100% Ash that got wiped out by the Emerald Ash borer.Fortunately my property is more diverse with Ash(all dead),Maple,Hickory,White Oak,Black Locust ,Cherry,Hornbeam, birch ,Aspen and even a few Elm that are still surviving.After I remove the Ash I will still have backup wood for years to come.

I'm with Wood Duck as far as having a variety of tree's especially in case of some kind of blight or infestation.My neighbors woods is small but is almost 100% Ash that got wiped out by the Emerald Ash borer.Fortunately my property is more diverse with Ash(all dead),Maple,Hickory,White Oak,Black Locust ,Cherry,Hornbeam, birch ,Aspen and even a few Elm that are still surviving.After I remove the Ash I will still have backup wood for years to come.

Sorry for the double post

Adios Pantalones said:
Locust grows fast and will grow well on marginal land without fertilizer because it's a legume. A little organic matter and it's off to the races. Very dense.

And just a quick word of caution - locust is kinda the potatoe chips of trees. Ya can't have just one. Once they set their roots in, they set out them runners and little locust saplings crop up all over the place. I'm at war with a locust colony that a previous owner thought would be a swell landscape enhancement.

They're like a plague.

A plague of locust.

plezdie.gif

Correct on the invasive nature of locust, always amazed me when mowing the lawn 50' + from a tree to see sturdy suckers piling up through the ground. They do look nice as a group planting / grove about 5-10 years old.

Although locust always burned well for me, it was hell on the saw; the bark on larger trees seems to pick up sand/dirt that just dulls the blade after even a few cuts. Furthermore whenever I burnt it there was a strong smell like burning marijuana, perhaps the wood / bark was still green.

For a better aroma I prefer Cedar which appears to have the best BTU value for its dried weight (comparable to Aspen), generally splits well too. Once established a pretty fast grower

One advantage of Aspen is that it dries fast, six months and its good to go.

Six Minutes, yes very clever.
I could make snide comments about European Aspen over whatever is grown in NY BUT I won't.
How many Aspen burners need to join weight watchers. We are lean chopping machines

I agree that Locust is a good choice for fast growing, hot burning wood. However, it kind of stinks. Another good choice may be cherry. It smells great and is actually one of the first trees to start growing in a cleared piece of land. That is what happened here when they put in my driveway/road. Cherry trees popped up everywhere and the forest rangers said that was common because the birds would carry the seeds. Cherry is a highly prized wood for both burning and selling. Everyone is getting cherry floors and cabinets now and it smells sweet, seasons quick and burns nice. Not as hot as Locust but it sure smells alot better.

And don't discount mulberry. It too is seeded by birds and will come up if you have any seed trees in the neighborhood. Grows fast and without fuss. Not sure on growth rates, but I doubt it's much behind the black locust.

I've reforested ten acres of crop field. Black locust is great for beginning the process. Eventually these trees will be taken by insects and will be shaded out by oak, pines, maple, or whatever. Don't plant a black locust in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.