Fat Bikes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
I bought myself a new cruiser and want to
replace the front 2.125" tire with a 3".
Will it go on the same rim?

kenny chaos said:
I bought myself a new cruiser and want to
replace the front 2.125" tire with a 3".
Will it go on the same rim?

If the rim diameter number is the same, it should fit, but you might get a wierd tire profile - I'd suggest looking at the tire maker's data to see what they say. You will probably need the width of the current rim to be able to tell.

The other thing to look out for is clearance inside the forks / fenders / etc, to make sure the wider profile won't cause any clearance problems - again the manufacturer info may be useful in terms of helping tell you the difference in the inflated dimensions of the new tire...

Gooserider

Also, if it just fits, it will rub when cornering

That is one big tire. I have a 2.5 I run on the front from time to time and that is big. What's the goal?

SolarAndWood said:
That is one big tire. ?

No, four inch is a big tire.
(Do a google image search for Surly Pugsley.)

A three inch will fit the forks well enough and probably the rim.
It'll give me extra flotation and shock absorbtion (rim saver),
and of course the "cool" factor.

Way cool factor. A friend of mine has a Puglsey and those big tires are fun to cruise around on. Enjoy your new ride.

What about the brakes?

You surely can find the largest tires you can fit (and clear the fork) from Surly's website. If you ever intend to use fenders, it probably will affect the clearance.

Nice bike, BTW..

Jay

Ha, Oops, I was meaning to reply to SolarAndWood who mentioned a friend of his has a Surly Pugsley... :)

I bet your bike is nice anyway, as a bike commuter, all bikes are cool!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.