Fatal Accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone you know?

Way I figure, I could slip on ice tomorrow and explode my brains on the curb or get ran over by a busload of nuns. It's terrible, but it is what it is you know?

velvetfoot said:
http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story/NY-logger-dies-when-log-rolls-onto-him/0Pu9GnIfgUm0oxYk_Q3qMA.cspx?rss=39

I spent 40 years working working in the woods on the west coast and most of that time worked as a loader operator. Whenever you heard a call on the radio for the First Aid Attendant, it would give you a sick feeling until you learned it was something minor.
These logging operations could be in remote locations where everybody knew each other and a fatality would touch everyone.
Up until recent years, you pretty much worked in pairs, but in today's economic times, there seems to be more cases of people working alone.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 848
No, I didn't know him. But as a guy who's approaching 60 and working on processing a log pile, I guess it hit home. For me it meant don't let a wall of wood form: use the Peavy and stand off to the side to bring them down.

NATE379 said:
Someone you know?

Way I figure, I could slip on ice tomorrow and explode my brains on the curb or get ran over by a busload of nuns. It's terrible, but it is what it is you know?

We all need to be reminded on a regular basis, lest we become complacent and overconfident.

For sure it is sad to read this sort of thing but it does happen. I lost a friend who had a log fall off a truck and he probably never knew what hit him.

Hit close too home for me too. Washington Co is where my Mother was raised. Also, I've taken all the easy to get stuff from my friend's pile of logs, and now have to come up with a plan of attack for the big pile. This is a good reminder to make it a really really safe one.

I'm thinking, tractor, long chain or wire rope, big lag or screw in a key log, PULL

Couple years back a guy died at my Dad's work. (OSB mill) Tarping or tieing off a load and fell off the trailer. That was it, lights out, dead on the spot.

Trailer deck is what, 3.5-4ft from the ground? I know I was damn lucky when I fell off a building last year and only broke my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.