Fathers Day chicken on the keyhole pit!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

My dad, my youngest son and myself did our annual tradition of cooking some chicken on the keyhole pit. Morning rain had me spooked that we wouldn't be able to pull it off this year, bit the skies cleared just in time for us to get it done........Happy belated Fathers Day to all you dads out there!!

I know I wouldn't be the man I am today if it wasn't for my dad!!

I built a custom rack that you close around the chicken, two metal rods are used to flip the whole rack of chicken over, instead of having to flip every piece of chicken individually. It works fantastic...... We've done over 80 pieces of chicken at one time on the flip rack and it is awesome to have for big get-togethers.

Getting the chicken going..... I put some green, fresh split white oak on the coal bed to start of off....

uploadfromtaptalk1371467679106.jpg

After we got it going, we put some wet applewood slivers on the coals.....every time we flipped the rack, we sprayed our homemade vinegar concoction on the chicken, my son did the honors of that job. He's becoming quite the outdoor chef! The whole neighborhood smelled heavenly!

uploadfromtaptalk1371468043974.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371468160535.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371468222645.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371468289707.jpg

Nice! Beautiful setting, Scotty. Really like those dry-stacked stone wall gardens.

Reactions: ScotO
I too requested a simple fathers day meal. For us it was fresh ground beef burgers on the grill with cheese, mushrooms and onions. Sometimes the simplest is the best! I was going to make a wood fire with some apple and cherry but I got too tired.

I can smell the chicken here in NY, nice job.

What is in the "vinegar" spray? That looks fantastic. You must of had a big gathering for all that chicken!

What is in the "vinegar" spray? That looks fantastic. You must of had a big gathering for all that chicken!

I mix some cider vinegar, garlic and butter in a spray bottle. Every time I flip the rack over, we lay a heavy coating of that spray on the chicken......gives it a fantastic flavor......

Status
Not open for further replies.