fatwood...do u dry it out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
got some fatwood today from an ol pine stump.......do i let this stuff dry?...i just wondered if the sap would dry up if u leave it in the sun?..

Not sure on drying. How does it burn green?

How did you process this out of the stump.
how did you split the stump up?

How does it burn?? It burns like its soaked in kerosene actually its turpintine. Don.t know why you would want to dry it in the sun. It will make good fire starter no mater where you keep it. Some I have found is stronger than others, the real strong stuff you just light it with a match, and it burns like its soaked in kerosene.

I don't use the stuff anymore my wood is so dry and easy to start, but when I did use it I would keep it in a shed. Don.t put too much in your stove just a little piece to get other wood burning. Sure you knew that.

got some fatwood today from an ol pine stump.......do i let this stuff dry?...i just wondered if the sap would dry up if u leave it in the sun?..

I have splits that are 90% fat wood in this last batch. I would still let it season, but it isn't going to dry out all that much as fatwood is formed when a pine tree dies and the sap settles to the bottom part of the tree. my splits were at 15% when I cut it down. I am keeping mine in a different part of the wood pile so I only use one or two splits of it at a time, a six splits load in my stove with that stuff would probably make it a nice red color.

Steve

yeah i would think just one normal size split would make the stove get too hot....when ive used fatwood it was just a sliver or 2 at a time to get the fire going..u know like the ones u buy in the store

I have a couple stumps that need taken up. It smells to high heaven, better then the fat wood I have bought.
I just figured he would use it for fire starting not burn a whole log. That would be interesting.

Call the fire dept now, that stuff will burn your house down talking about putting a couple of splits in the stove. That stuff in Canada must be alot different than down here

Steeltown, split it into small slivers the size for starting fires (say 1" x 1" x 6" long), and lay them out where the sun can bake them. Allow them to dry for a couple of weeks, and pack them away in a good box. They'll be ready for next winter for sure.

Call the fire dept now, that stuff will burn your house down talking about putting a couple of splits in the stove. That stuff in Canada must be alot different than down here

well concidering that the heart wood I got is only 4" dia, then split that in 1/2 so small splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.