Faux Stone Panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcapler

Jan 5, 2016
Nebraska
Does anyone have any comments on using faux stone panels. I am planning on some remodeling in our stove / kitchen area. I plan on gaining some clearance room around our stove. I was wondering if using fire rates faux stone panels could cause me any trouble. Throw any ideas my way if you have done some hearth area remodeling.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

It depends on their construction. Is there a specific product you have in mind? What is the plan to reduce clearances and by how much?

I may have stated that wrong. Currently I am at the bare minimum for clearance (according to mfg.) and I want to add to the clearance. I am not at home to look at my mfg. install instructions or able to measure the stove so I am going to use random numbers. I have 18 inches on the rear of the stove to the wall and I want to get to a minimum of 20 inches. Did that clear up the muddy water a little more?

I want to add some decoration around the stove and make it look a little more up to date. I wish I had drawing that I could toss up for what is in my head.

Currently I have no clue on what company I would go with. I just want to make sure that it will meet code and have a fire rating of some sort. I will only be using the stone panels on the wall surfaces. I will be laying stone slabs for the base where the stove and wood would sit. Just trying to get the opinions from all the knowledgeable people here on the forums.

Most likely you'll be fine as long as you avoid plastics. A lot of these products have colored cement, faux stones mortared on a substrate panel. If the panel is cement board then the entire assembly is non-combustible and fine. Even it mounted on a wood backer, you'll be ok when exceeding clearances to combustibles. Remember that the clearance is measured to the nearest combustible and not to the new faux stone surface as long as that is non-combustible.

Reactions: mcdougy
Status
Not open for further replies.