Faux Stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David48

Oct 10, 2010
Southern Ohio
Got some remnant manufactured stone veneer today to put in corner behind new pellet stove.

All I need is two panels about 44" x 44" and was hoping to just cut down a sheet of plywood and thinset
stone to each. Then set the panels in place and screw the plywood to wall studs and cap off with a mantle.

Do you think this will work? Will the plywood warp like crazy? Or?

Really don't want to do all the mortar and mesh mess for two small decorator panels.

Thanks for any input...

David

I'm sure you'd really like to keep this job as simple as possible, but if you adhere that stone veneer directly to the plywood...the shrinking and swelling of the wood will have it falling off in no time.

Your best bet is to screw some cement backerboard to the plywood before hand and you should be good to go and it will last much longer. Just a 1/4 inch sheet should be easy to work with.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Our Lowes carries the hardiebacker board only...would that work also?

Could I screw it to 1/2" plywood? Don't want to get too thick.

Thanks...

That will be fine...you can use any backerboard, but if you use thinner than 3/4" plywood you might want to use a little thicker backer board. Also... make sure you screw it to the plywood about every 6 - 8 inches.

Good luck. I'm sure it will look great.

Use Liquid nails in a crisscross pattern against the sheet rock wall to solidify the whole assembly.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.