Favorite Books on Woodlot Management?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
Any books you folks would recommend? Thinking of making an offer on some adjacent property to play in. Interests are in making firewood as a bit of a hobby, re-foresting some bits, trying to help enhance wildlife habitat, etc. I suppose I could just jump in, but I like to read these 'how-to' sorts of books. If I still have the bug after reading a book or two, better to jump in then.

Thanks in advance,

John

John, many times it does pay to have a forester come in to check the property. They will then make recommendations on the best route for your goals. It is not too costly and well worth it.

Missouri Conservation Commission sent a forester to give me advice. I have been working off his guidance for a couple of years. He gave me some rules of thumb and pointed out which trees needed to be thinned and which to keep. It was free.

Online, there is a wealth of information. Missouri has some good stuff. Several other states and universities have good guidance. So much information that I have never looked for a book.

Good thoughts, thanks. Bigger issue is deciding what is a fair price, and whether the current owner would even be interested in selling, then. I'm interested, my wife is not, and the owner never uses this piece of property at all. Largely wetland, so probably of marginal (economic, anyways) value. To me it would be a good way to spend time on something I'm sure I would enjoy.

Sounds like all good advice but if your still looking for a book here are a few that I recommend.

Here are a couple of books that I own

Working with your Woodland a Landowners Guide by Mollie Beattie,Charles Thompson and Lynn Levine

Woodlot Management by Bruno Wiskel

All though not a woodlot management book but more of a history of how past civilizations relied heavy on wood for energy and how they deforested the earth going back a few thousand years to about the mid 1800's is( A Forest Journey by John Perlin)which makes a great case for us to use proper woodlot management

How are property taxes in MI?

Jeff S said:
Sounds like all good advice but if your still looking for a book here are a few that I recommend.

Here are a couple of books that I own

Working with your Woodland a Landowners Guide by Mollie Beattie,Charles Thompson and Lynn Levine

Woodlot Management by Bruno Wiskel

All though not a woodlot management book but more of a history of how past civilizations relied heavy on wood for energy and how they deforested the earth going back a few thousand years to about the mid 1800's is( A Forest Journey by John Perlin)which makes a great case for us to use proper woodlot management

Thanks for the thoughts.

FYI, the Wiskel book doesn't seem to have very good reviews on Amazon. But the Beattie et al book does.

Thinking about this one by Hilts et al - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155407553X/

The Perlin book looked interesting, but it drew my eye towards how mushrooms can save the world... http://www.amazon.com/Mycelium-Running-Mushrooms-Help-World/dp/1580085792/

Thanks for all of your thoughts on this, Jeff.

SolarAndWood said:

Quite variable, I would say. All depends on where you live.

For me, if I were to do this deal, probably not that big an effect. And perhaps there's even a way to put the woodlot in some sort of conservation reserve, which could only help in that regards.

The Beattie book seems to be a compilation of many good Forest Managers and well documented ,a used one including shipping can be had for less than $10.

Your right the Wiskel book doesn't have the best reviews but for less than $5 including shipping for a used one I took a chance on it just for another view,it is one individuals hands on approach of his own techniques he uses on his Canadian property.

Happy hunting for your dream property.

I had a state forester come into our place and walk through with me. Great time and learned a ton. Also looked at adjoining wood lots I don't own but hope to someday. Wanted to get his opinion.

Because he works for the state, didn't cost me anything to come and look with me (but that was IN). Like I said - highly educational and lot of ideas.

SolarAndWood said:

For sure it depends upon where you live. Realize that as one moves south the population goes up. Move north and you can get into some pretty wild country with low populations. You'll even find some counties with not a stoplight in the whole county.

I won't tell you what our taxes run because you'd probably cry. :lol: I will say that with our 40+ acres we pay less than many folks pay for a small lot. On top of that, our trash pickup is on our taxes so that brings it up a lot. Well what the heck, the amount we pay for trash service is about 1/3 of our tax bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.