Favorite Saw Consumables

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brant2000

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2011
Somerset, PA
I know there are probably lots of posts throughout here and on forums, but I was just curious to get other's opinions on chains and bars. I haven't tried that many out, but have been very happy with my experience with stihl chains. I was also looking to pick up a new bar and was wondering what really are the differences between the different types and brands? Do you guys have strong preferences for a particular one?

Oops, I guess this should have been posted in "The Gear" instead.

Last edited:
Mod will move it for you when they read it.

I have used windsor, carlton, and stihl chains. All seem fine to me (as long as you are buying the same geometry in each chain). I buy full comp, full chisel, without any kickback features. In Stihl chain this would be yellow box RS or RSC. If they are sharp, they are all fine.

I will say the Stihl chain I recently bought seems to stretch less than others.

I think the chain really is more about geometry of the cutters and is it sharp.

Bars - I have never purchased a bar. All of my saws have come with Stihl bars except one, it had an Oregon power match. They all seem fine.

Perhaps others can give a different perspective, but for me a bar is a bar and a chain is a chain (as long as the geometry is the same).

The BIG thing is keeping that chain sharp and that bar oiled.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have had the best luck with Stihl chains; staying sharp, cutting etc. I have a few Oregon chains and they are fine also. My only chain failure I have had was an Oregon that broke. I suspect it was damaged from a pinch, but never saw any damage. It had a lot of life left on the cutters.

I have used only Stihl bars. Easy to find and know you have the right one. A bar lasts me years, so not worth taking the chance on not liking a bar. I might try something other than Stihl, but it is more work to find the correct Oregon bar here than just getting the correct Stihl down the street.

Here is what I just posted in another thread:

Some people are bent on Stihl chains and won't buy anything else. I'll admit they probably are the best but when price is factored in, not even close to a good buy.
For example I bought a single loop of 20", 3/8ths 50 gauge Stihl RSK as I wanted to try it before purchasing a roll. The dealer, (real chainsaw shop) wanted $26 but sold it to me for $22 when I balked and said he would go to $20 for 5 or more. The local Hardware Hank now handles Stihl and they wanted $28 for a loop. (roll price when made up into 20" loops is $15.50)
I've bought Forester/Carlton unbranded loops for $7/loop for 16" .325 and under $10 for 20" loops of 3/8ths.
Currently I am spinning Oregon LGX loops and they come out to $9.09/loop.
The point of this diatribe is chain is an expendable item and I keep to the bitter end when I should just pitch them. However with grinders it is easy to keep them going and worn ones cut faster since they pull less kerf. Sure Stihl is real good, but it's not 1.5 to 2.5 times better than Oregon LGX which is very similar to Stihl RSC.
The Forester/Carlton is a very good value when price is factored in.
Wait till next year when Husqvarna starts making saw chain rather than re-badging Blount/Oregon. I am hoping for a teaser rate in order to garner market share.

For bars I just bought a pair of Tsumura bars in 3/8ths and ordered some in .325 but they haven't come in yet. They are supposed to be very good although tips are spendy.

Total bars are made by Tsumura,

2uf52de.jpg

More bars,

bgsjz9.jpg

Techlite are pretty good.

2hdazpd.jpg

Last edited:
I recently wanted a better chain for my Husky 350 and read a bunch of glowing reviews of Oregon 95VP / Husqvarna H30 narrow-kerf chain. Fortunately I already had a narrow-kerf bar, so I ordered a loop, set up a good-sized cherry log on my sawbuck and gave it a go. I was very impressed, and would buy the same again for other smaller saws that run .325 pitch.

Some people are bent on Stihl chains and won't buy anything else. I'll admit they probably are the best but when price is factored in, not even close to a good buy.
For example I bought a single loop of 20", 3/8ths 50 gauge Stihl RSK as I wanted to try it before purchasing a roll. The dealer, (real chainsaw shop) wanted $26 but sold it to me for $22 when I balked and said he would go to $20 for 5 or more. The local Hardware Hank now handles Stihl and they wanted $28 for a loop. (roll price when made up into 20" loops is $15.50)
I've bought Forester/Carlton unbranded loops for $7/loop for 16" .325 and under $10 for 20" loops of 3/8ths.
Currently I am spinning Oregon LGX loops and they come out to $9.09/loop.
The point of this diatribe is chain is an expendable item and I keep to the bitter end when I should just pitch them. However with grinders it is easy to keep them going and worn ones cut faster since they pull less kerf. Sure Stihl is real good, but it's not 1.5 to 2.5 times better than Oregon LGX which is very similar to Stihl RSC.
The Forester/Carlton is a very good value when price is factored in.
Wait till next year when Husqvarna starts making saw chain rather than re-badging Blount/Oregon. I am hoping for a teaser rate in order to garner market share.

I agree, chain is chain. I have used Stihl brand chain. I think it seems a little sharper out of the box, but I have windsor and carlton on all my saws currently.

Have only used the bars that came with my chainsaws (all stihl currently).......

Do you like those forester bars? Any noticeable difference?

I just bought three 18" loops of 3/8 x .50 RSK from a local shop for $15 each, for 3 or more. The owner is 68, and will be retiring at the end of the year, but for now, pretty good price IMO. I don't see any factory loops displayed, and he's always made everything for me, while I wait, so perhaps that's got something to do with it. If he'd quoted me $28, when I asked (respect for one's elders, and he's a pretty decent guy), I'd have politely declined and, probably, never looked at Stihl chain, again.

I agree, chain is chain. I have used Stihl brand chain. I think it seems a little sharper out of the box, but I have windsor and carlton on all my saws currently.

Have only used the bars that came with my chainsaws (all stihl currently).......

Do you like those forester bars? Any noticeable difference?

Forester bars are OK, in the same league as Oregon.

I just bought three 18" loops of 3/8 x .50 RSK from a local shop for $15 each, for 3 or more.

I bought a single loop of 20", 3/8ths 50 gauge Stihl RSK as I wanted to try it before purchasing a roll. The dealer, (real chainsaw shop) wanted $26 but sold it to me for $22 when I balked and said he would go to $20 for 5 or more.

YIKES!!! I can get 16" or 18" or 20" FACTORY loops for $18 at my local dealer (that's for one, no quantity pricing). I can get Windsor and Carlton made off a roll for about $13 - $15 depending on the length.

My guys must not have nearly as much overhead.........

YIKES!!! I can get 16" or 18" or 20" FACTORY loops for $18 at my local dealer (that's for one, no quantity pricing). I can get Windsor and Carlton made off a roll for about $13 - $15 depending on the length.

My guys must not have nearly as much overhead.........

That $22 I paid was for a single loop and I only bought it because he had a 100' roll of Stihl RSK he would sell me for $325 and I needed to try it before buying that much. RSK is the old school high vibration cutter design rather than the newer RS or RSC which is more popular. RSK is supposed to be slightly faster.

As I said before, this is what I normally pay for chain:

Currently I am spinning Oregon LGX 20" loops and they come out to $9.09/loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.