1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Favorite Species of wood to burn.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Greg123, Aug 23, 2006.

?

Favorite Species of wood to burn.

1. Oak

50.9%
  2. Ash

10.5%
  3. Maple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Elm

5.3%
  5. Cherry

10.5%
  6. Beech

1.8%
  7. Birch

21.1%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The minute those messages get to "sexual disfunction" I am outta there.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Oh , He(( ..........I think i clicked on the wrong short cut on my desk top , I was looking for the Hearth fourm . Anybody seen it ?
  3. brian_in_idaho

brian_in_idaho New Member

Loc:
    Jewel Lake (Sagle), Idaho
    Heck, I'm kind of enjoying the Jeff Foxworthy forum, fits in with my redneck sense of humor! I had to quit listening to the "You might be a redneck if..." ones, with the exception of the family parts, I was sure he was talking about me.
  4. KP Matt

KP Matt New Member

You might be a redneck if you only fire your still with the finest dried hickory.

My favorite wood is Ostrya virginiana - eastern hop hornbeam, or we just call it ironwood. Few woods are denser in N. America, it's considerate enough to die at a manageable height and just stand there waiting to be cut, or if it rots generally only the bottom foot or so rots if you catch it in time. Starts off fairly dry, and you don't have to do much splitting because it never gets more than a foot and a half in diameter. Only problem is the bark is a bit peely, so you get little shreds everywhere.

But the finest combustible I've ever seen was in a discotech/tent place in Andalucia, they were burning almond shells in this cylindrical stove thing - hopper on the top, the shells just feeding in... a heavenly aroma!
  5. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec

Thanks for the reminder KP, my sister in San Francisco, gets almond wood for her fireplace in the city..It is nice stuff and the aroma,, wonder what that is a cord now...
  6. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    For me, the favorite is Oak. It's free. there is so much downed oak around here I can't imagine paying for it for 10 years. They keep building houses around here but nobody has a real fire place so I will continue to take advantage of all the free wood. had the kids help me split and stack a courd or so last weekend and I plan to get one or two truck loads today.
  7. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Dogwood!
  8. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    Oh man...forgot about the dogwood I burned last year. Tree was probably 25 years old and about 7" dbh. Standing dead due to the tree guard the previous owner never removed. Very dense and burned well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.