Favorite Species of wood to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Favorite Species of wood to burn.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The minute those messages get to "sexual disfunction" I am outta there.

Oh , He(( ..........I think i clicked on the wrong short cut on my desk top , I was looking for the Hearth fourm . Anybody seen it ?

Roospike said:
Oh , He(( ..........I think i clicked on the wrong short cut on my desk top , I was looking for the Hearth fourm . Anybody seen it ?

Heck, I'm kind of enjoying the Jeff Foxworthy forum, fits in with my redneck sense of humor! I had to quit listening to the "You might be a redneck if..." ones, with the exception of the family parts, I was sure he was talking about me.

You might be a redneck if you only fire your still with the finest dried hickory.

My favorite wood is Ostrya virginiana - eastern hop hornbeam, or we just call it ironwood. Few woods are denser in N. America, it's considerate enough to die at a manageable height and just stand there waiting to be cut, or if it rots generally only the bottom foot or so rots if you catch it in time. Starts off fairly dry, and you don't have to do much splitting because it never gets more than a foot and a half in diameter. Only problem is the bark is a bit peely, so you get little shreds everywhere.

But the finest combustible I've ever seen was in a discotech/tent place in Andalucia, they were burning almond shells in this cylindrical stove thing - hopper on the top, the shells just feeding in... a heavenly aroma!

KP Matt said:
You might be a redneck if you only fire your still with the finest dried hickory.

My favorite wood is Ostrya virginiana - eastern hop hornbeam, or we just call it ironwood. Few woods are denser in N. America, it's considerate enough to die at a manageable height and just stand there waiting to be cut, or if it rots generally only the bottom foot or so rots if you catch it in time. Starts off fairly dry, and you don't have to do much splitting because it never gets more than a foot and a half in diameter. Only problem is the bark is a bit peely, so you get little shreds everywhere.

But the finest combustible I've ever seen was in a discotech/tent place in Andalucia, they were burning almond shells in this cylindrical stove thing - hopper on the top, the shells just feeding in... a heavenly aroma!

Thanks for the reminder KP, my sister in San Francisco, gets almond wood for her fireplace in the city..It is nice stuff and the aroma,, wonder what that is a cord now...

For me, the favorite is Oak. It's free. there is so much downed oak around here I can't imagine paying for it for 10 years. They keep building houses around here but nobody has a real fire place so I will continue to take advantage of all the free wood. had the kids help me split and stack a courd or so last weekend and I plan to get one or two truck loads today.

Sandor said:

Oh man...forgot about the dogwood I burned last year. Tree was probably 25 years old and about 7" dbh. Standing dead due to the tree guard the previous owner never removed. Very dense and burned well.

Status
Not open for further replies.