Favorite Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
Just curious to see what other's favorite type of wood is. My own would have to be beech , it's plentiful where I live, burns hot and clean , lives little to no mess from the bark and seasons quickly. Hard maple is right up there as well for me.

Reactions: Osagebndr and Knots
The world may end by me writing this, but I have some seasoned pine that I am liking a lot right now, Burns clean, hot, and lasted a surprisingly long time on a half load.
I have some black birch that was smelling nice the other night when I got home from work.
That being said, maple or applewood would be the absolute favorite...

Last edited:
I like oak when it's dry, but I'm liking beech more and more. The oak on my wood lot has commercial value, but the beech really doesn't. I like the thin bark. The only thing I don't like is all the branches that have to be trimmed off the trunk.

Good question, and I think people should take into account all factors and not just the burn quality/seasoning time: ease of splitting, average trunk thickness (you can have too much of a good thing), etc., ease of processing from alive and standing to stacked in the pile.

For me, I like Ash. The trunks are tall and straight and don't get to an unmanageable size. Not a lot of limbs or knots. Doesn't tend to be too heavy and has a relatively low moisture content. Splits ridiculously easy and seasons fast. Burns great and lots of BTUs.

Good question, and I think people should take into account all factors and not just the burn quality/seasoning time: ease of splitting, average trunk thickness (you can have too much of a good thing), etc., ease of processing from alive and standing to stacked in the pile.

For me, I like Ash. The trunks are tall and straight and don't get to an unmanageable size. Not a lot of limbs or knots. Doesn't tend to be too heavy and has a relatively low moisture content. Splits ridiculously easy and seasons fast. Burns great and lots of BTUs.

Ash is another favorite and also thick in the woods in my area

Definitely Ash.....Cherry and Maple too

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Oak also locust

Oak, it's most of what I burn.

I've been splitting a bunch of beech lately.. splitting it kinda on the small side - 4" or so to hopefully have it ready by next winter. Haven't burned it yet, but all these posts about it being a favorite make me happy. :)

Beech bark disease is killing alot of the beech around me, i cut a fair amount of dead standing from it. Its a shame though, Theres fewer things more beautiful than walking through a beech flat during hunting season but no need to let such a great source of heat lay and rot !

Seasoned.

As for picking a favorite . . . that's like asking a father to choose his favorite child -- they're all special and great . . . just in different ways . . . even that red headed step child named Pine. ;)

I love beech, I get a lot of nice secondary colors from it, easy to split and burns hot, what more could you want?!

Western Larch - best non-hardwood firewood and plentiful where I live.

White or Burr oak for its burning quality, some can be a pain splitting and the bark can be messy. We got a Lota hickory around too. Do love the smell of cherry the most though

Reactions: lindnova
I could burn locust and ash or hard maple combo forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.