Favorite woodstove accessory / addition thread....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumme

Dec 14, 2008
arkansas
Id have to say that my new vaccu stack chimny cap has really saved the day. What a great product that has so far, totally eliminated any smoke/ wind related problems I was having . Im suprised more people dont know or use this product when they are having problems with smoke coming in their homes due to wind coming down their chimneys.

A+ for this product

Hi Rumme
I will second that. My old smoke dragon had intermittant back puff issues too, so read about this vacustack cap
and bought it. Atlthough kinda pricey, it stopped all smoke issues when using the stove last year and built up my confidence in using the stove. It really does a nice job as my surroundings with trees and stuff, I believe makes my chimney vulnerable.
I since then upgraded to the PE Summit (thank you Tom) and have been burning 24/7 eversince. Simply awesome
-gary

I have really liked the Pilgrim "Ash Caddy" (pictured above, conveniently enough). It's safe, keeps the ash contained until we can transfer it to the storage can for addition to the lawns come springtime. Beats the hell out of the old galvinized pail we used before.

My Fathers long heavy poker. I'd better be careful which forum I post that response on.......

A stainless steel kitty litter scooper. . .no joke! I use it to separate and sift the coals from the ash. Works like a charm. Sweep all the ash into the ashpan and out it goes!

I love my welding gloves, I'll stick my hands in there and grab a flamer with no pain.
Although hold something long enough and the gloves start to stink and do get hot.
Saved from many a burn scar with these things.

My enameled cast iron steamer! Wesern Vermont is DRY in the winter, but the steamer makes a big difference. OK, probably not as much as a real humidifier, but vastly cheaper. I can tell when the I've forgotten to refill the steamer because I can't pet my cats without sparking their ears with static electricity. (Um, they hate that, a lot) As long as I keep the steamer filled up, the kitties are fine.

That's an easy question. My favorite accessory is the Kenny Chaos Woodstove Rottisserie!
We had a special that expired yesterday. With every purchase, the owner would get one chicken and one pork roast every week for life!

Dyson hand vac for all the wood and ash around the stove. Nothing sucks like a Dyson!

Attachments

• super_DC16-SY-STD.jpg
    super_DC16-SY-STD.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 390
stejus said:
Dyson hand vac for all the wood and ash around the stove. Nothing sucks like a Dyson!

Very funny. Reminds me of a couple local sayings: Lumber yard- "You can always find better but you'll never pay more than Stockhams." and a local amish sawmill which used dull blades was known as the "Thick and Thin Lumber Company."

my Loveless ash vac, i used to use a shopvac which worked quite well but i always had this nagging thought in the back of my head "did i suck up an ember burined in the ash?" with the loveless being all metal with a fire resistant filter system , i dont have to worry about it. nice product.

I would say this by far is the most useful tool next to my maul and matches that is.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=2&item=378784

It is rare for me to have it filled with exotic ferns, but, what can i say ;-P

For actual wood stove accessories I'd be lost without my trivet for cooking and aluminum foil for baking inside! I like the sounds of that rotisserie.

pen

stejus said:

Funny you should say that I didn't buy one because I heard they suck! Perhaps I shoulda bought one because they suck? Now I'm all confused!!

Ray

PS: Seriously do they really work well and how much do they cost?

Well as of this past October 2008 I created a wood shelter which has made a big difference.. I also bought one of those yellow garden wagons for $79.00 from Lowes which will hold enough wood to fill my indoor 42" diameter hoop that I bought at HD for $25.00.. Those 3 items have made wood burning much less a chore for me... After over 20 yrs. of burning without these items I wonder how I managed..

Ray

love your wood shed Ray

Stevebass4 said:
love your wood shed Ray

Thanx Steve! It looks a bit different right now as I added tarps to keep the rain and snow out.. So far it has worked out well.. Lemme know when you can stop by as I work 3-12 hr. days a week..

Ray

Great!!! thanks again Ray

raybonz said:
stejus said:

Funny you should say that I didn't buy one because I heard they suck! Perhaps I shoulda bought one because they suck? Now I'm all confused!!

Ray

PS: Seriously do they really work well and how much do they cost?

I've used all the typical hand vac's over the years, and they truly are useless. This Dyson hand vac is without doubt, the best cordless machine on the market. It picks up solids as well as fines and goes for 1/2 hour if you need it that long. The internal filter system is three layered so there's no dust flying out the back side. I can't imagine what my hearth would look like without this. I use it once a day and you would never know I run a wood stove because the hearth is spotless. I don't use it to clean inside the stove, just around it.

In addition, it's great for clean ups on hard wood floors sucking up those dust bunnies!

Online or retail, they go for $150.00 There are no filters or bags to buy either.

I'd have to say my favorite accessory is my wood cart. Allows me to bring a 1-2 day supply up on the deck near the back door.
Prior to that I was making trips out to the stacks with a wood sling.
Another accessory (if you can call it that) I've been pleased with is the weekly scoop of anti-creosite powder on a hot bed of coals. For me it's made a noticable difference when I clean the stack. What appears to be shiny, sticky buildup crumbles and sweeps right out when the brush hits it. Good product if you have a stove that makes smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.