1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Feb 2013 Storm thread

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by jharkin, Feb 6, 2013.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Supposed to get some in Los Anchorage. Got ~5" yesterday, supposed to be another 6" tonight and 4-5 through the weekend. Didn't get crap out here.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    My hubby and I moved 10 yrs ago, of course in the middle of a freak president day blizzard, 20"+ of snow, a lot all at once for here. Needless to say, no one showed up to help. We moved in the TV, computer and bed, we just giggled about it today because my sister is suppose to move Saturday too.
  3. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    If this forecast busts, there will be a lot a folks feeling foolish. Note especially the last line about breaking the record by over a foot. (Good luck)

Posted by Weatherman Jamie Simpson:

Here are some things I have seen via social media the last few hours in reagrd to the Northeast Blizzard tomorrow and Saturday.

Boston’s Logan Airport will shut down from tomorrow afternoon to Saturday evening.
    Boston’s transit authority shuts down at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow, meaning hundreds of thousands if not millions who use it for work have no way home unless they leave early.
    23 million people in Northeast under Blizzard Warning
    Amtrack reducing service between Boston and New York tomorrow
    Massachusetts governor wants vehicles off roads by noon
    Gov. Cuomo will open State Emergency Op. Centers at noon tomorrow for NY

If this lives up to potential we could see immobilized areas until Monday due to potential drifting in eastern New England.

One television meteorologist in Boston is forecasting 40", which is a full foot above Boston's all-time single storm record.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Well, it's here now. Not a blizzard for us by any means, just 6 to 12" of wet snow. Really high moisture with little wind. Real greasy slick stuff. Snowing at about 1.5" per hour right now. I don't envy you guys out east that are gonna get the real blizzard, this stuff is crap compared to the fluffy snow we've had till now. Stay warm & safe. A C
    zap likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

We haven't got a thing yet supposed to get 6-7" by noon.

Pete
  6. amateur cutter

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Yea, I wonder if we shouldn't change our plans for tomorrow?
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

It's no issue for me that truck is a tank in the snow. If it isn't gonna work for ya let me know its not a big issue for me either way. I can move it to another day.

Pete
  8. amateur cutter

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I'll get a hold of you in the morning, this place may turn into plow truck central with the wet snow.
  9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Ok I plan on leaving around 8am.

Pete
  10. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    You guys going to the woods for some fun ?
    It's Snowing here now ,got a bucket of chicken,a bucket of beer,a bucket of gas for blower, and a pile of wood in the house :cool:
    Shane N likes this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    All schools closed here. We really don't have much yet. Looks like about two inches so far but they have been saying the most of it is coming today. I think we will end up with a lot less than they were saying for our area. But the wife and kids are happy. Snow Day;ex:)
    zap likes this.
  12. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    None of the forecasters up here in Boston are saying anything quite that dire. Still calling for 18 to 24 with some isolated areas of 30 in thunder snow bands.

I'll get my camera and document the progress today. Nothing yet.
  13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

We reeived 3 inches last night, I "GAS" it's what we will get this afternoon that will make it a pain to travel.
    Gasifier and Pallet Pete like this.
  14. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    daveswoodhauler likes this.
  15. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Working from home as well today. Just put a pot roast in the crockpot. 4 1/2 pound roast, 1 packet ranch dressing mix, 1 packet brown gravy mix, 1 packet italian dressing mix, 1/2 cup of water...can't wait to eat in 8 hours. yummy.
    Shane N and Dune like this.
  16. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Sounds like jharkin and daveswoodhauler are going to be gaining a few pounds today and tomorrow, storms are great. Aren't they!

Zap, when I watched the national news last night, CBS I guess, the map and description of snow made it look like we would luck out in our area. Looked like we might get as little as 6 inches. o_O Everything else says more though. :confused: Who knows. I guess the best thing to do is look out the window. ;)
  17. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Sun still shining here - but not for long I don't think.

I really hope this turns out to be a bust - but my gut is telling me to batten down the hatches with the way these two systems are colliding. Just about to head out for a gas run, and pondering getting another small genny. We haven't had a serious single dumping of snow or long power outages to speak of for getting to be a few years now - we're overdue.

EDIT: And it's frickin cold out!
  18. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    9:40 am - I'm just now seeing the fist flurries starting up out the window.
  19. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i think its snowing...doesn't taste like shredded cheese.
  20. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

It was snowing pretty good when I left my house (North of I-78 in Hunterdon County, NJ for those of you who know the area) but it changed to rain south of Flemington. All rain currently near Trenton. I brought the 'Yota to work anticipating a sloppy mess when I head home at 6:00 p.m. Spent all last night getting wood in the basement and dusting off (literally) the snow blower since it didn't get used at all last year. Plenty of gas for the genny, but I'm praying I don't need it this time :p Most importantly, Yuengling released Bock Beer last week so I snagged a case of bottles for the weekend :)
  21. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Good to go on the beer supplies here too. Looked in the chest out in the mudroom and I have leftovers of a few different 6 packs good for at least a case - Smithwicks, Becks, Spaten, Westephaner Hefe, a few odd Allagash and Sam Adams varietals.

life is good.
  22. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    [​IMG]

Planning plenty of ass in seat time!
  23. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Brought in another wheel barrow full of wood at 7:30 this morning.....sky looked wierd, and felt something hitting my face.....1/2 later (8am) the flakes started....10am now, and everything has a light coating and it picked up a little......we'll see where this takes us. My sister in Old Orchad Beach, Maine said they are looking at 30 inches heading thier way....both Corvettes, and Harley will stay under cover for a little longer
  24. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Looks like Philly is south of he rain line until ~midnight....and maybe 4" total expected :(
  25. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Coming down nicely here - only about one inch so far.

RI is supposed to see 75 MPH wind gusts! Those are hurricane strength!

We are supposed to see 50MPH here.

I guess it's time to make sure the generator works! Although my theory may still hold - that is, the big ice and snow storms of last year and the big hurricanes already knocked down most weak trees and branches, so less chance of power outage!

Either way, I'll put on my helmet cam tomorrow and venture out with my snow shoes for a walk in the Blizzard of 2013.