Feb 3,2912 - Pellet Stove Fire damages Wheeler Street house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Looks like some sparks may have spit out. This can happen if there is no vertical rise in the pellet stove installation. That is what I would question.

See more pics here
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Fire-damages-Wheeler-Street-house-2995477.php#photo-2270060

DANBURY -- A fire that badly damaged a Wheeler Street home on Friday might have been started by a pellet stove, according to the homeowner.
The fire started at about 1:15 Friday afternoon and quickly spread from the small ranch house to its attached garage.
Kevin Paige said the fire probably started near his home's pellet stove. The stove was in the room next to the garage.
Deputy Fire Marshal James Russell is investigating the cause of the fire, which the fire department said Friday was probably accidental.
When firefighters arrived, the garage was completely engulfed and reduced to charred timbers. The fire also scorched a car next to the garage and melted the plastic sheeting over a nearby shed.
Assistant Fire Chief Steve Williams said that about half the home had severe smoke and water damage.
Williams said crews from the city's Fire Department fought the blaze along with volunteers from the Mill Plain, King Street and Germantown companies. City police and emergency services workers were also at the scene.
There were no injuries involved. Firefighters found Paige's two cats hiding in the basement. Both survived the blaze.
Paige, the owner of Buttheads, a tobacco store on Padanaram Road, took the fire and the damage it did with some stoicism.
"I have my homeowner's insurance policy paid up," he said. "That's what we have insurance for."

Attachments

• PelletStoveGarageFire.jpg
    PelletStoveGarageFire.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 274
Well you can also try vent to close to combustibles (the long slow cook off), or perhaps some off those never existing hot coals being stored in an improper receptacle or in a proper receptacle but placed on a combustible surface.

Then there is the ever popular vent joint inside the wall installation method, perhaps even a Carl model partially trash filled spark bucket.

So many choices and not enough time.

They should have installed a spark bucket and trimmed thier bushes...

They should have installed a spark bucket and trimmed thier bushes...

Well if you have the minimum 3 foot vertical rise then there should not be any sparks flying out right?

I like the 3 foot rise on the inside of the house because if it is on the outside and not insulated then the cold in this climate makes it plug with pellet dust way too often!

without doubt, no spark has ever escaped from the 3 foot rise.

Reactions: smoke show
Sure, right, yup, please try again.

I agree Smokey.. I have a 5 ft rise on my Englander, 5 ft on the Fahrenheit, 18 ft on my Woodstove, 12 ft on the fireplace and have seen a spark or two out of all of them.

3 ft is not a lot..... Does not stop a heavy hot ember thats being forced out...

I dont even need a rise sparks come out of the bottom of my tee lol. Just joking i almost have the problem resolved.

Dexter,

I've never had a heavy hot ember come out but I can count on some small ones exiting the vent (from the center line of the stove exhaust outlet to the horizontal run going through the wall is about 5'), never had one still lit when it hit the ground. I even tried to light off some thin tissue paper on a metal tray under the venting just above the ground, but never succeeded (this was done with a charged water hose in hand).

What can get you is long exposure to the hot flue gases or not maintaining proper clearances.

Dexter,

I've never had a heavy hot ember come out but I can count on some small ones exiting the vent (from the center line of the stove exhaust outlet to the horizontal run going through the wall is about 5'), never had one still lit when it hit the ground. I even tried to light off some thin tissue paper on a metal tray under the venting just above the ground, but never succeeded (this was done with a charged water hose in hand).

What can get you is long exposure to the hot flue gases or not maintaining proper clearances.

By "Heavy", I guess I meant a larger ember, obviously big enough to stay "cherry" throughout the vent. Some jump out of the pot a little bigger than others..

The temperature as you stated probably has a lot to do with it. My Direct vent system on my Quad has the most. But even then, they extinguish quickly and I have landscaping pavers laid down because of the proximity to plants and mulch. Although it exceeds the Clearance to Combustibles, I am a worry wort and try and not just meet, but Exceed all Combustible limits. All the time.

I love my famiy to much.

Does your wife read this site?

Just askin. ;lol

Btw fix your spelling mistakes. :p

No, she is a Facebook person. This is my PelletPeople ;) site to her. Or facebook for burners. We actually talk about stuff that matters here! !!

Reactions: The Ds
Sure, right, yup, please try again.

3' 2"? is this a trick question? should I be answering in metric? no wonder I did not get chosen for the Jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.