1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Federal Airtight 288

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by maine13, Nov 3, 2013.

1. maine13

maine13 New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Hi guys,
    I recently was given a Federal Airtight model 288 wood stove that I was planning on installing in my basement. My house is a 2000 sq ft. (located in Maine) and I was planning on running a 6" triple wall duravent chimney up through the middle of the house as my existing chimney is venting the furnace. I am planning on installing a grate over the chimney on the first floor as well as a metal hood for directing heat up through the grate. Any potential problems with this plan? Any experiences/advice for this particular wood stove or just for the installation in general? I still have to get in touch with my insurance company and local fire department.
    Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maine13

maine13 New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I can provide relevant pictures of the stove/installation area/rest of house if it helps. I am not 100% committed to the basement installation, I am favoring it because of safety considerations, as well as the limiting nature of the existing layout of my house.
  3. maine13

maine13 New Member

Loc:
    Maine
  4. maine13

maine13 New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Seriously, no one can help a new guy? Should the thread be moved to the pre-1991 wood stoves section?
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Sometimes it takes time for somebody to pass through with the info you need. Not too many of the ole Dutchwest Federals being burned by members on the site these days.

I'll move it to the Classic room.
  6. maine13

maine13 New Member

Loc:
    Maine
  7. maine13

maine13 New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Yawn....
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I used to burn a Rocky Mountain. It was a small cat stove. I don't think my experiences would help much as I'm not familiar with your stove.

Sorry.

Matt