Federal Airtight 288

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maine13

Nov 3, 2013
Maine
Hi guys,
I recently was given a Federal Airtight model 288 wood stove that I was planning on installing in my basement. My house is a 2000 sq ft. (located in Maine) and I was planning on running a 6" triple wall duravent chimney up through the middle of the house as my existing chimney is venting the furnace. I am planning on installing a grate over the chimney on the first floor as well as a metal hood for directing heat up through the grate. Any potential problems with this plan? Any experiences/advice for this particular wood stove or just for the installation in general? I still have to get in touch with my insurance company and local fire department.
Thanks.

I can provide relevant pictures of the stove/installation area/rest of house if it helps. I am not 100% committed to the basement installation, I am favoring it because of safety considerations, as well as the limiting nature of the existing layout of my house.

Sometimes it takes time for somebody to pass through with the info you need. Not too many of the ole Dutchwest Federals being burned by members on the site these days.

I'll move it to the Classic room.

I used to burn a Rocky Mountain. It was a small cat stove. I don't think my experiences would help much as I'm not familiar with your stove.

Sorry.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.