Federal Airtight Damper...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvto2

Nov 14, 2011
Northern CT
The bolt that holds the damper on the rod that opens and closes it cracked on my FA. Can I just buy a bolt at the hardware store or do I need something special. I have some similar sized bolts but the thread width seems off.

Do yourself a favor & MEASURE the bolt. Don't guess at fastener sizes. The wrong thread can damage other components & lead to more trouble. If you can't accurately measure the diameter & pitch, go to a reliable hardware store or an industrial fastener supply & have it matched exactly.,

Assuming I get the right measurement, does the bolt need to be some kind of special heat resistant thing or can anything off the shelf be OK?

More often than not the OEM fasteners were simply grade 5 bolts, however, when you install them anywhere in the stove, a little Anti-seize compound on the threads can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.