Fedex damaged chimney pipe follies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
I recently ordered a full 2-story Class-A setup, including 4 4' insulated pipe sections. Shipped via fedex, pipe sections were in manufacturer's original box with no protection other than the one layer of cardboard. 3 of the pipe sections were basically fine, some small cosmetic dents in the outer shell of a couple, which seemed inevitable. But the fourth had a squashed female end and a dent that went clear through to the inside stainless layer. So I contacted the store, and they sent me another. This one came with two dents clear through, and another squashed female end. Store sends me a 6th section, this time he writes some pretty funny comments on the outside to the fedex guys, asking them to please play nice. Someone at fedex writes "Not a Chance. Better luck next time" below that. :-S Still, this section was about pristine. I was expecting fedex to come verify the damage and pick up the sections, but I got an email today from the store telling me they'd been reimbursed, and I could keep or discard the damaged pipes.

So, the obvious question: Assuming one could un-ovalize the two squashed (about 10%) female ends enough to mate with another section, are these sections usable? Or has the insulation around the dents likely been crushed to the point where there would be hotspots? When I tried to manually push the largest dent out from the inside I could hear and feel the mineral-wool insulation being compressed.

i think the safest thing to do would be to send the damages pipes to me and i will properly dispose of them. :roll: but seriously i would try to "undamage" them as best i could and use it in an area where a potential hotspot will not be a problem. i would just use them as the last pieces of the chimney on my roof. in this case even if there is a hot spot it will be outside and 5-10 feet away from the roof or any other combustibles. but then again im pretty cheap :lol:

Make a quick visit to your local collusion center. In about 2 minutes they can use their suction tools to pop out the dents in the pipe. I personally haven't found correcting the squashed ends to be a major deal, its just that the bayonet fitting does not work reliably afterward, so it is essential to use the band clamps or screw the joints together to be safe. Half of my pipe sections were dented when I unpacked them on getting home from Menards and I figured that a substantial number would be the same in their warehouse if I took them back. I needed to get the job done and fixed em myself...

I spent about a while at 2 Lowe's stores buying my undented chimney pipe opened every box and visually inspected for dents etc. If I am paying that much per foot it is gonna be undamaged and flawless. Yes I have been told I can be anal about that kind of stuff before, but at @$30 a foot I want perfection.

I would have preferred that method, but nobody sells class-A retail around here that I'm aware of. (Well, Home Despot sure doesn't, and Lowes doesn't list it online and they're too far to bother checking. But if they do have it in Missouri, then maybe I'm wrong.) Upside was I only paid $22/ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.