Feed Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chas

Sep 8, 2008
ma
I have a Quadra Fir Castile pellet stove. I was cleaned at the end of the season there are pellets in the hopper from last year. The first time it ran this season everything seemed to be fine it feed pellets and the blower came on the red indicator light was lit. The unit didn't ignite I had to push the reset button to get the stove to feed more pellets then it ignited. Do you think maybe the pellets left from last year are bad or is there something else I should be looking at.

Thanks for any help!

hopefully, you emptied the hopper and ran the auger/stove until it ran out of pellets last spring. If you start from an empty hopper, it is very normal and expected that you should have to push the reset button several times before the auger is full and feeding correctly. That's also explained in the manual. If you DIDN'T run the stove dry in the spring, then you are very lucky that the pellets in the auger didn't turn to mush or a solid slug and jam the auger. A point to file away for next spring is that after you run the stove dry, put a vacuum hose down at the entrance to the auger inside the hopper and suck the fines up that accumulate there. If you don't, they will in all likelihood jam your auger in the fall. Ask me how I know..... ;em

Make sure your vacuum line is clean and clear. Also make sure your feed gate is adjusted per manual.

As tjnamtiw said above, leaving pellets in over the Summer is not a good idea. Always clean the hopper out at the end of the year and vacuum all the fines about once a month from the bottom. The fines will accumulate and feed less and less pellets, because of the build up of saw dust/fines in the bottom.

Have you tried to restart it? Do pellets drop the entire start up sequence? I think its 60 seconds for a Santa Fe/Castile.

Clean hopper, add new pellets, then hit reset every minute until they start to feed (empty auger will need primed).

I apologize that I missed the part about you leaving pellets in there. Punctuation or lack thereof screwed me up when reading your post. :cool: Hope you got it going? What DexterDay said about getting pellets every time it feeds is important. These Quads have a habit of sometimes running the auger backwards occasionally. Let us know.

I apologize that I missed the part about you leaving pellets in there. Punctuation or lack thereof screwed me up when reading your post. :cool: Hope you got it going? What DexterDay said about getting pellets every time it feeds is important. These Quads have a habit of sometimes running the auger backwards occasionally. Let us know.
Thanks to all I got the message and won't make that mistake again I did get it going just had to hit the reset a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.