Feed rate max in mild weather question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whalefish

Jan 26, 2022
Oregon
Hey there,

I've looked around at other feed rate posts but I haven't found a clear answer yet. I'm running a Harman Absolute43 and the default feed limit is 65% (range is 25-100). I've found that during mild weather or shoulder seasons, the stove cycles a lot. My preference would be for fewer cycles and a more modest flame/heat output. I'm trained to think that more cycles means more wear on certain components, but also I don't really like the stove kicking on for 10 minutes every 15 minutes.

My question is, is it inefficient (wasting pellets) to run the stove as I would prefer, with a lower feed limit? How have other folks managed this issue during shoulder seasons or mild winter weather? I'm current using a feed limit of 35% and it seems to burn much longer but not as hot. I'm in western Oregon.

Cheers,
Matt

I don't have the same Harman stove but can say that I prefer to run my stove at a feed rate of 3 which is half scale. The rule of thumb is to keep the feed rate low and keep the pellets burning farther back in the pot. This makes for a hotter burn and less clinkers. Another rule of thumb is to keep at least 2 rows of holes visible in the burn pot. You don't want burning pellets spilling out of the pot.

I'm in the Willamette Valley and the shoulder seasons are a challenge. The pellet stove would do more cycling when the outside temps are in the 50's. Lately I've been using an electric heater instead of pellets since it runs quieter than the pellet stove and is adequate heating for my space, 1200 sq ft.

I don't have the same Harman stove but can say that I prefer to run my stove at a feed rate of 3 which is half scale. The rule of thumb is to keep the feed rate low and keep the pellets burning farther back in the pot. This makes for a hotter burn and less clinkers. Another rule of thumb is to keep at least 2 rows of holes visible in the burn pot. You don't want burning pellets spilling out of the pot.

I'm in the Willamette Valley and the shoulder seasons are a challenge. The pellet stove would do more cycling when the outside temps are in the 50's. Lately I've been using an electric heater instead of pellets since it runs quieter than the pellet stove and is adequate heating for my space, 1200 sq ft.
Interesting comments. I’ve got two Harman stoves (P43 and Accentra Insert.) Both manuals say to set the feed rate at 4 which I did. The halfway point on both stoves is 3.5

I don’t even run my stoves in the shoulder season as it’s just too inefficient. Once the outside temps get around the mid 30’s, I’ll fire them up.

I have been running my XXV for 20 yrs with the feed adjuster set as low as possible and the blower on high using premium pellets. My home is 2100 sf, all electric with a heat pump at 1500ft in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento. Night time temps rarely get to freezing. This keeps my living room nice and toasty and the far off bedrooms relatively cool. On a rare occasion it gets too warm and we simply shut the stove off. With the temp setting way up high (room or stove) the stove is always sensing a demand for heat and never shuts down or lowers the blower speed, also never requires running the heat pump/heatstrips. With the auger set to its lowest, it spins for 10 seconds each minute and goes through 1 bag a day. If it gets below freezing outside which is rare, i might turn the auger speed up to 2.

I have been running my XXV for 20 yrs with the feed adjuster set as low as possible and the blower on high using premium pellets. My home is 2100 sf, all electric with a heat pump at 1500ft in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento. Night time temps rarely get to freezing. This keeps my living room nice and toasty and the far off bedrooms relatively cool. On a rare occasion it gets too warm and we simply shut the stove off. With the temp setting way up high (room or stove) the stove is always sensing a demand for heat and never shuts down or lowers the blower speed, also never requires running the heat pump/heatstrips. With the auger set to its lowest, it spins for 10 seconds each minute and goes through 1 bag a day. If it gets below freezing outside which is rare, i might turn the auger speed up to 2.

Correction, I have had the XXV 18 years (not 20), since 2005 which I believe was the first year it came out. It has been a great stove, pretty much running 24/7 for 6 months out of each year, except for shutdowns cleaning. On my 3rd igniter, 3rd flame guide, and 2nd chain/sprocket/and tensioner.

I have an Accentra. I run around 2.5 to 3.0 during fall and spring. Not sure about efficiency, but my stove tends to get dirty quicker with long maintenance
burns. So at the lower settings I get longer but lower feed rate burns if that makes sense.