Feed Rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Medreach said:
I am a control freak when it comes to some things so I like to run my stove in stove temp mode. I found running it in room temp it was cycling high/low all the time and the blower was adjusting itself and it was annoying. I also feel I have better control over the feed rate when running in stove temp. An example, if I set the dial to 4 I know I'll burn 1.5 bags a day. If I set the dial to 6/7 I'll burn through 2 bags a day. In room temp you can't really control feed rate since it's based on room temperature and not whole house temperature. I guess it's a personal thing.

I also have the Harman insert installed Jan 09. I have a 3200 sft house. It is 17 outside right now. It doesnt matter if I am in room or stove its still running flat out to keep the room at 70. I noticed I dont get the same heat output in stove mode as I do in room. I have a temp gauge where my room sensor is its says 67-68 I keep the dial on 75 and feed at 4.5. The heat out of blowers with Lignetics is 270 with a clean stove anfter about 2-3 days of 24 hrs a day burning the heat output drops to 230-250. By the 5-6th days around 230. When I am in stove temp with dial on 5 feed at 5 I cant even get 250 anytime. I dont know why. This is why I always run in room temp since the only time I can get to a room temp where the stoves lowers itself when it hits set temp is when outside temps are 30 and above anythiny below 30 and now in the teens she is running flat out just to keep room at 70.5 and upstairs 68. I guess not bad for a stove that is rated to heat a hell of alot less that 3200 sft.I still would like to get the stove temp setting down. Perhaps you can tell me waht size area you are heating and what settings your in on stove temp. Keep in mind my floor plan is wide open.

THE ROOSTER said:
maglite67 said:
Run your harman at the highest feed rate you can. The reason the knob is there is to back off the feed rate so you don't get unburnt pellets dropping off the front of the pot. Each pellets are diffrent sizes from diffrent pellet companies. The smaller the pellet the more pellets you can put in the aguer and would need to slow the feed rate. If you turn your p43 to #3 and it is able to run at #6 you just turned it into a p21 1/2 lol. Also the lower you run the feed rate the more chance you have for creosote and a vent fire.

I wonder why mine doesn't come close to pushing unburnt pellets out the front??? Right now my feed rate is on 7 and the stove is on 2.5 and it's not even close to the edge...

turn the feed down or the temp up 7 is too high for the heat output it will cause your stove to "slow down" if it burned what you are giving it it would be to hot for the 2.5 setting.. range... so turn up to 3.5-4 or turn feed down to about 4 it will burn closer to the edge but not at the edge

It`s near 0 right now and my P-38 has been set on 3.5 all day and it`s burning about 1-1/2 bags a day . One end of the finished basement is 78 but I got a 10" fan pumping the excess heat to the first floor thru a floor vent. I`m down here in my t shirt.
It`s working pretty good cause the only zone coming on is the 2nd floor. I`m beginning to think this little stove could heat both the upper two floors (2000 sq ft) (if it wasn`t in the basement) with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.