Feedback on Englander add on furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisg

Sep 6, 2007
NEK VT
We are seriously considering purchasing one of these units but I would really like to hear some opinions and real world experiences with it. I plan on ducting it into oil furnace plenum to utilize existing duct work in the house. I like the cost as well. I read this forum daily and have heard opinions hear and there but would like to consolidate them to one thread that I can link to my wife. Any and all feedback good or bad would be great. Thanks Chris

Well, I don't think you are buying modern technology there......the engineer at Englander said:
"That furnace is not certified for emissions and is essentially an old school style wood stove with a beefy blower and air jacket."

Doesn't mean it won't suit you.

The picture does not even show any automatic control (from a theromostat, etc.) - if true, that would make it very primitive as compared to a lot of other units on the market.

Maybe someone knows more, but I have a hard time suggesting a furnace which requires you to go downstairs and spin a draft control to get more or less heat.

Had one 12 years ago. Lasted about 8-9 years before it had a crack in the firebox ( was easy to overfire due to manual draft). It more than paid for itself. I put one on layaway in July at TSC made the necessary payments but when I went to pick it up they were out of that model. It was origanally around $700 but since they screwed up I got it for around $500. I have a woodchuck furnace now and like it much better than the englander although the englander served its purpose.

Thanks for the info. I was going to just designate two existing floor ducts for this furnace as we currently also have a 2479 Dutchwest down there but it is to much area for it by itself. Just trying to think of other options to help heat upstairs a little better. Could the blower be wired to a thermostat upstairs to regulate when it turns on and off , I mean once you get familiar with how the thing runs it shouldn't be to hard to keep the draft control in check it can't be any worse than trying to control the 2479,which is a constant battle if conditions are not ideal ie. baro pressure and outside temps.
Lee what is TSC that is about half price of what I have seen.
Yes a full fledge wood furnace would be the way to go but I don't think the budget will allow that. So that is why I was kinda leaning this way. I know it is not the perfect solution but I am open to suggestions.
Thanks Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.