Feeding side arm from forced air wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerSid

Sep 16, 2008
Canada
Hello all! Couple questions I'd like to ask. Been thinking about building a coil or using a plate exchanger installed inside the plenum on top of the fire box to a side arm installed on my electric hot water heater. I am using a Newmac add on wood furnace connected to my forced air oil furnace. Is this even possible? Looking for some advice and or ideas from others that have attempted this.

Thanks to all that offer some help.

Sid

Actually, there are several companies that make hot water coils that go inside the firebox of your add-on furnace to heat hot water..... My old Energy King has one.... The best part is if you situate your hot water heater higher physically than the furnace, it will thermo syphon and you won't even need a pump.

I've seen a stainless pipe that was bolted to a wood furnace and routed to the top and bottom of a DHW tank. It heated DHW directly, and flowed via thermosiphoning. The DHW tank has to be higher than the furnace for this to work.

Yep, that's what our energy king has........

Oh, it's for sale by the way! :) LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.