fell a poplar this evening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Was gonna wait until the weekend but I couldn't stand it! Had a cool front come through and drop the humidity and Temps so I fired up the stihl. I'd say around 18" or so and good and straight. Not my best cut but it fell pretty routine. I plan to try to use this as kindling and short fires before this season is over. If it doesn't have time I know it'll be good and ready next year
20140813_193741.jpg
20140813_193713.jpg
20140813_193759.jpg

poplar is always straight, if only it were dense like oak and smelled better itd be be a dream for firewood.

Heated this joint a whole season one year with two year dried Tulip Poplar.

I plan to try to use this as kindling and short fires before this season is over.
Split soon to kindling size, with the time you have left down there, it may be useable in a few months, I'd guess.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
I've got plenty of oak c/s/s and 100 acres to cut more from but it's not ready. I have a bunch of soft maple and cherry that should get me through this season but I need something to supplement it so I decided to try a poplar. After this year I'll be burning mostly oak

Humidity in the low 30s for you the next couple of days. Wish I could get that here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.