Fell in love with the Mt Vernon... is there something better for me and my needs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky208

May 31, 2008
Southern ME
I'm new to the pellet scene but will picking up a free standing stove soon. I love the look of the Mt. Vernon, but I'm torn between being practical and wanting a stove that is advertised to do about everything. My house is +/- 2,000 sf but in the winter months we shut down about 500 sf to cut consumption costs. The house is 40 years old with R11 in the walls, so we're not the most efficient house out there. I guess my concern is that the Mt. Vernon would be too much power for my needs. Is there a downside to too much output, I figure the thermostat would help regulate it but do you then run into ignitor wear issues sooner? Also is there a 50,000 BTU free standing stove that has a similar look? I wish I wasn't so caught up with appearance but this will be the first thing you see upon entering my house. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Jim

Take a look at the Quad Castile and the Enviro Empress. Both are good lookers with lower btu output.

There is nothing wrong with running a Pellet stove on medium or low most of the time. Although to save money one could get a smaller stove and run it on hi. It is nice to have the ability to crank it up though, on the really cold nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.