felling beetle-kill near power lines: adrenaline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
OK

When dealing with back-leaning trees in power line proximity, felling really makes you anxious! My brother and I worked hard to put together a (relatively) safe procedure.

equipment:

1 ton, 25 foot strap-puller
4-inch nylon tow-strap, 40 feet length, looped at each end
75 feet of 365 lb working load rope
ladder
chain saw, sledge, felling wedges
eye, ear, head protection, etc.

The "hard" back-leaners, we decided to LEAVE ALONE until we eliminate the weak-link of the rope. (We're getting more tow-strap.) We may fell those trees 90 degrees to their lean, in order to keep from over-stressing the safety line. We will read more on this, first.

Anyway...

We attached the puller strap to the base of the anchor tree. The rope ran from the puller to the tow strap. We tripled the rope back on itself, mostly to make the setup a more convenient length; this may not increase working load, as knots significantly reduce break-strength of ropes. The other end of the tow-strap was looped around the dead tree about 18 feet up.

We spent about 45 minutes (per tree) clearing a lane from the dead tree to the anchor tree, and clearing escape paths as well. We did not want brush-snags and fraying to be a problem.

We kept the notch cuts just under 1/3 of trunk diameter, then alternated between back-cutting and strap-pulling. When the back-cut was deep enough, we used felling wedges to lift the trees over, per the suggestion of others on this site. (Fearing kickback & barber chairs, we didn't want to put too much force across the grain with the puller.)

It's a slow, pains-taking procedure. I usually have fun cutting firewood. Frankly, THIS WAS NO FUN; each tree was a relief when it went where we planned.

Regards,

Dexter

One bull rope is the way to go! I don't use ladder either cant stand heights. Nor will my insurance cover it. "Back cut if you leave 2-3 inch's" no more is all you will need, this is so you don't over work your rope.YES WE NEED PIC's and sound like your doing it by the book..Drive your wedge as your cutting and you should be able to watch the tree lift into position watching your henge get to the 2-3 inch mark get you and the saw out of there and finish with the rope it should only be a 150-175lb pull max if don't you need a little more back cut 1/4-1/2 inch at a time (pp pucker point) Long bar 28in my favorite for that work. DON'T OVER DO YOUR ROPES! IMO this is the safest way to drop any tree even if its straight as an arrow you you can drive tacks with this method.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17377&catID;= must read book sounds like you may have one or someone is teaching you well

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 182
'Sorry, Gentlemen, about the lack of photos.

Yup, we're going up several times over the Summer and Autumn before the snow flies. We must get a lot of trees yet. I'll take some photos down the road showing the power lines, and some "leaners". I'll try to dig up some "before" pictures too, from before the beetle infestation; it's an amazing difference.

Regards,

Dexter

ps. I was on this forum previously as dexterblack (I think), but I forgot my password, and just re-registered.
(I have a Firelight CB model 12 Jotul -- not an F 600)

Status
Not open for further replies.