Felling by Mother Nature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This White Pine was going to come down sooner or later, Mother Nature took care of that last night. I'm thinking if I c/s/s this weekend it should be ready for the shoulder season in the fall.

After the high winds last night this weekends ride through the Woodlands should be fun, just hope we don't have alot of damage.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4530.jpg
    100_4530.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 552
  • 100_4531.jpg
    100_4531.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 558
  • 100_4532.jpg
    100_4532.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 570
Yup, the saw beetles will love that one....they'll have it full of holes to aid the drying process for you. Any pine I cut up I use the slabs for kindling. Going to take down several big norway's next week and have some boards milled for a big new woodshed/truckport.

It would seem that you should be very careful in your forest! ;-)

Pat53, The woodshed/truckport sounds nice.

Smokin, just hoping that the trail has no widowmakers. I have a feeling up top will be a bigger mess, if we don't get anymore snow I should be able to get the rhino up the trail, just depends how much ice we have in that area.

zap

Zap, you'll be lucky if you can get down any of your trails now.

Looks good until the brook, after that I'm not sure. I'll take care of the trails Saturday, I would like them open before we get any big snow then have the tree get frozen in. The hill above the brook gets hit the hardest but is off limits until spring.

zap

Man thats a good pile of pine for ya you should hire the bugs more often :lol:

Pete

That's a really good point Jay....keep "looking up" as you cruise around. We got the high winds here too last night....nasty.

smokinjay said:

+1 There have been two significant injuries around here from people being struck by falling branches that were hung up after the Oct snow storm. The woods around here have a lot of broken branches still up in the trees. If its real windy I stay the heck out of there.

Zap - with all the wood you have processed I find it hard to believe that anything you are processing now will be needed for shoulder season this fall? Whats up with that?

zapny said:
Looks good until the brook, after that I'm not sure. I'll take care of the trails Saturday, I would like them open before we get any big snow then have the tree get frozen in. The hill above the brook gets hit the hardest but is off limits until spring.

zap

Just reading that makes me jealous! Sounds like a great property you've got there.

I bet the white pine smells great just having it stacking in the wood box. All the paneling in the living room at the Cottage is white pine. When we bought it, we had to sand it all down to white wash it (we took down two walls and won't have enough original paneling now, so we're going to have to "weave in" new stuff and there's NO way we'd match 30+ years of sun darkening so we decided to whitewash). I had to keep myself from sniffing the sawdust, lol. I LOVE the smell of pine!!

Got Wood said:
smokinjay said:

+1 There have been two significant injuries around here from people being struck by falling branches that were hung up after the Oct snow storm. The woods around here have a lot of broken branches still up in the trees. If its real windy I stay the heck out of there.

Zap - with all the wood you have processed I find it hard to believe that anything you are processing now will be needed for shoulder season this fall? Whats up with that?

This was the first heating season we had shoulder season wood(bigtooth aspen), looking for close to two cord per year, have that for this coming heating season. Just have so much down it will go to waste unless we burn it or get it stacked.

We might sell some to the campers this summer, not sure on that yet. We also plan on milling this spring/summer depending on how much wood I get up. We also sold just over four true cord last summer.

I also would like to cut enough wood to replace what we will burn this year in Cherry.(Just over 3 cord)

With me cutting two cord for the shoulder season for each year that would have me cutting wood (not shoulder season) for the 2016-2017 heating season.

zap

eclecticcottage said:
zapny said:

zap

Just reading that makes me jealous! Sounds like a great property you've got there.

I bet the white pine smells great just having it stacking in the wood box. All the paneling in the living room at the Cottage is white pine. When we bought it, we had to sand it all down to white wash it (we took down two walls and won't have enough original paneling now, so we're going to have to "weave in" new stuff and there's NO way we'd match 30+ years of sun darkening so we decided to whitewash). I had to keep myself from sniffing the sawdust, lol. I LOVE the smell of pine!!

We enjoy it eclecticcottage, I've said it before on here.... we lucked out getting the property. This coming shoulder season will be our first for burning some pine, it does smell great and hear it burns hot.

zap

She took these two ash down for me. The one laying across the stream came down in the spring, but was hung up out of reach in the junk on the other side. The other one came down on top of it in the fall and I could finally reach everything. It was pretty uneventful, not as scary as I thought it would be. I've got them drug up out of the water and out of the brush. Gotta get it bucked and out of there before it floods again, which seems to happen a lot lately.

Attachments

• 2012-01-11_11-35-01_367-1.jpg
    2012-01-11_11-35-01_367-1.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 2012-01-11_09-50-00_717-1.jpg
    2012-01-11_09-50-00_717-1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 269
The view from the loft window in my cabin. How many widowmakers can you count? And where's Waldo?

Attachments

• P1020514 (3) (1000x562).jpg
    P1020514 (3) (1000x562).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 258
Zap, you might as well work on the pine this wknd. There's a semi-pro team playing the 49er's but I'm sure game will be over by halftime. :).

I often say God is my wood cutting partner . . . after I've hung up several trees . . . and then come back a week or so later and find the wind has brought them safely to the ground . . . and in case anyone is wondering about the safety aspects . . . where I'm cutting no one goes routinely unless they're looking for trouble.

wishlist said:
Zap, you might as well work on the pine this wknd. There's a semi-pro team playing the 49er's but I'm sure game will be over by halftime. :).

If the Giants are semi-pro what does that make Choke Bay!

zap

Zap, did you hit your head out in the woods? If I remember correctly the last time the giants made a playoff run your wide receiver shot himself in the foot? Sure hope Eli isnt packing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.