Felling Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The birch tree thats arched over would you still notch the bottom then cut from the back or just cut from the back?

zap

Attachments

• 100_0666.jpg
    100_0666.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 364
I would use my longest bar and stay back away as far as you can and just use a back cut. Shouldnt barber chair but the longer bar keep you out of it.

If you just cut from the back the tree could barber chair on you. Sometimes on smaller leaning trees that will fall clear instead of a traditional hinge on the fall side a simple single cut will relieve the pressure. Yeah its not according to the book but it's beats getting your bar stuck in the tree.

smokinjay said:
I would use my longest bar and stay back away as far as you can and just use a back cut. Shouldnt barber chair but the longer bar keep you out of it.

Thanks smokin, I have alot of birch in this area that need to be taken down that are just like this.

zap

savageactor7 said:
If you just cut from the back the tree could barber chair on you. Sometimes on smaller leaning trees that will fall clear instead of a traditional hinge on the fall side a simple single cut will relieve the pressure. Yeah its not according to the book but it's beats getting your bar stuck in the tree.

So Sav are you saying you should make a small cut up the back of the tree to relieve the pressure then another cut at the base of the tree from the backside .

zap

I'd notch and back cut as per standard rules of felling. Any other method in my opinion would be unnecessary risk taking.

wood spliter said:
I notch everything. Cut it real easy from the back.

I have some at the base of the hill I'll try first with the notch in the front then cut from the back.

Thanks
Zap

does it have any other lean to it? i mean I can see that definite lean to our left. does it have a predominate lean away or towards us as well? if it has a slight tendency towards or from the camera then I’d do a face and back cut as normal in one of those directions.

Danno77 said:
does it have any other lean to it? i mean I can see that definite lean to our left. does it have a predominate lean away or towards us as well? if it has a slight tendency towards or from the camera then I’d do a face and back cut as normal in one of those directions.

Looking from behind the birch it has a slight lean to the right.

zap

Zap imo another problem with cutting from 'just' the back side is that the tree never develops enough enertia to fall...it just slowly starts learning its way down and is way more easily to get hung up.

...a simple kerf cut will act as a hinge when a tree leans like that...just don't pinch your bar.

Rather than the traditional notch you can just cut in horizontally an inch or two. That is how I do the little ones where you really don't need the notch it works well and then the tree won't split on you; but try to fell without cutting or notching and they will split. On the other hand, you can always not notch or cut on the one side. Cut part way through and pull down. It is called hinge cutting and lots of folks do that in a more open woods like you have as it makes great places for deer to lie and still have some cover. Usually it is done with several small trees that are relatively close together but can be done singly too.

I always cut both sides, too.
Smaller ones no wedge or notch.

Nothing worse than a tree going over part way and springing and now you have to go cut fibers under pressure.
I've had a tree roll out on me, but worse I've had explosive fiber breakage push a saw out just like nose kickback and sometimes grab a bar and twist it over. No thanks.
It only takes a couple extra seconds to make a small cut on the other side first.

Sometimes smaller trees can be more frustrating than big old heavy ones.

Cut it waist high standing straight up. Just in case it barber chairs you won't get face rearrangement.
Open face notch only 1-2" deep max. Bore cutting it right behind the hinge and exiting out the back wood be best but the tree looks on the smaller side so it may be difficult. You'll be ok with a back cut but be ready to step back fast. That tree is a perfect candidate for a barber chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.