Felling Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
To the veterans on here (this tree is down), what is the best way to fell this tree so it won't barberchair? With some of the stuff thats been posted lately I thought your knowledge would help. It's the tree crossing over the bottom tree, it's not hung up either.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1142-2.jpg
    100_1142-2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 467
Not hung up? Notch the bottom like a regular cut (as if tree was standing). on top though cut a couple of grooves to relieve any barber tension (about 25% of the trunk thickness) about 4-6" apart and same distance up hill of the intended "felling cut". (Then get a partner and an 8' buck saw.) With a chainsaw I have cut trees like this and never had a problem with a good notch on the bottom unless I got too greedy with the notch and got the saw pinched. As always DO THE NOTCH FIRST!

Looking closer at the pic, i cant be much help except be careful of the roots. If you cut it wrong it will flip up and hit, knock the sh*t outta or kill ya. I didn't believe it when i was told that but we cut one up and it jumped up like it was on a crane. Good luck, be safe.

This tree is down, I thought with some guys posting of a tree barberchairing that we would get some advice from the veterans on here. Cave2k thanks for the advice and Thrash44047 it came down but did split just alittle but didn't barberchair.

zap

I would get the bulldozer out. LOL

Good luck and be safe.

Not a big fan of telling people how to cut a tree down from a picture, if it was me I make a cut to weaken it and pull it down with my pickup.

30-06 and forget about it!

How about drill an appropriate sized hole in it and fill it with black powder, or dynamite. Then a real long fuse. ;-P

Glad you got it down safe Zap

Its funny though. Last weekend My best friend and I took my 17 yr old cousin with us to the woods to teach him how to cut trees down safely to cut down two 18" oaks. And we ended up getting both of them hung up. We got one down with a truck and the other one had to wait a day for a tractor. Scott was accusing me of jinxing him by bringing my cousin. But Adam probably learned more from seeing us getting them hung up and getting them down than a perfect fall would. He couldn't believe how long leaves and branches would fall out of a adjoining tree after the dropped tree was down.

Billy

Jeeze Zap - throw a tough one out there. I would have to see that one in person before giving much in the way of advice.

I would let it barber chair just use a long bar and stand back a litte.

smokinjay said:

Do they make a 12ft bar for that 880? :lol:

I have two more that I have found, the sugar maple is worse then the cherry. I have some wood that needs to be stacked before I get those two done. :coolgrin:

zap

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Do they make a 12ft bar for that 880? :lol:

4 footer get-er-done

I've cut those where it was resting on the other tree . (the one on top)
Not over my head, of course.
Would stand on the left, not the right (in case the top tree decided to roll )

Carefully.

Or pull it over with a rope if I thought it would pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.