Fellow (ladies) Lopi owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike821

Nov 3, 2010
Bridgewater NJ
All...I am a little over one month burning with my Lopi 1750i and love it. I am experimenting with many different kinds of wood looking for that long burn time, but trying to keep a good 500-600 deg going most of the time. I would like to find out what other Lopi owners experiences are and have the following questions:

Type of Lopi and how long you have owned it.

SQ footage heated

Wood burning...loading method, and what gives you the most heat

Settings when burning (fresh start, reload, established fire)

Do you utilize your bypass?

How hot do you run your stove and what was the max temp you have hit.

Cleaning....do you pull your stove or just clean with the stove in place?

A good deal of questions right? I figure most of the Lopi family have many years of experience with their Lopi. I am looking to maximize the rest of the burning season and make sure I am doing what it takes to get the most out of my stove.

Much appreciated all whom reply.

Mike

Utilize the search option and you'll find tons of informative posts on your stove and it's relatives. Pagey in particular has posted a ton on the Endeavor, which is basically the same stove.

I won't go into detail on operation, you'll find that in searches, but the short version is:

Endeavor, Manufactured 1998, bought the house in 2005,
1300 sqft.,
I load N/S.
Settings depend on how much heat I want, but I usually aim for maximum efficiency.
I use the bypass for loading and cold starts,
I don't use a thermometer.

Enjoy your years of trouble-free wood heat!

[quote author="Mike821" date="1294779292"]All...I am a little over one month burning with my Lopi 1750i and love it. I am experimenting with many different kinds of wood looking for that long burn time, but trying to keep a good 500-600 deg going most of the time. I would like to find out what other Lopi owners experiences are and have the following questions:

This is our second year with the Lopi Liberty.

1750 sq.ft. up & the basement (close to the same)

We like loading north/south and use sugar maple when it gets colder or for overnight burns.

Fresh Start, I let the flue temp get to 450 then start adjusting.

We reload when the stovetop temp gets down to 300.

We use the bypass when starting fresh and on reloads.

We like burning at a stovetop temp of 650.

I clean the flue from the outside then remove the pipe from the inside and clean that.

zap

Mine is an insert, but I'll chime in anyway...

-Revere - purchased in March of '10. Burning quite regularly since November.
-1100 sq. ft. Cape.
-NS loading most of the time.
-Settings - all of the above. Depends on the situation. Weekends it's a constant burn, but it goes down to coals overnight if I don't load full before bed, and while at work. Restarts easily from coals unless I let them go out for cleaning.
-Bypass is always closed down for most effecient burn, except when the door is open for reloads.
-Max temp was about 800 - my freak-out lasted about 30 minutes until the temp started to drop. I keep the temp in the 400-600 range.
-Cleaning. I have not had the chimney swept yet, but I clean the inside with a stiff plastic brush...works great. I won't have it pulled out for the sweep - that was one main reason I got a Lopi. I didn't want the thing drug across my tile hearth every year.
-Wood - Silver maple for hot burns is under 10% MC. Mix of other woods - oak, hickory, locust, etc, chimes in at around 13% MC. I don't think I've burned anything less seasoned than 13%.
-Oh, and a steamer on top keeps the humidity comfortable and my skin from drying out. No static either!

And since this is a Lopi-centric post, (and I hope I'm not hijacking, but this might help someone else), let me add this. I recently discovered a gap between the door and the stove. This might be why when the stove started getting in the hot danger zone, I had a hard time slowing it down when I cut the air off. I also noticed a door pin raised up about a quarter inch. I've contacted the people I bought the stove from and they requested I bring the door in - which I thought was useless without the stove attached to it! So they requested pictures. Below is what I sent them - has anyone else noticed anything like this? I worked the seal, but can't get it to cover the gap. I'm suspecting the loose pin might not be holding the door in the correct position, but the pin won't move.

http://picasaweb.google.com/102957219770268222674/FireplaceDoor?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_owf67ou_HQg#

Cate said:
And since this is a Lopi-centric post, (and I hope I'm not hijacking, but this might help someone else), let me add this. I recently discovered a gap between the door and the stove. This might be why when the stove started getting in the hot danger zone, I had a hard time slowing it down when I cut the air off. I also noticed a door pin raised up about a quarter inch. I've contacted the people I bought the stove from and they requested I bring the door in - which I thought was useless without the stove attached to it! So they requested pictures. Below is what I sent them - has anyone else noticed anything like this? I worked the seal, but can't get it to cover the gap. I'm suspecting the loose pin might not be holding the door in the correct position, but the pin won't move.

You definitely shouldn't see light around the door. Not sure the pin is the issue. I've had to tighten the latch on mine, using just a socket wrench.

Revere (our old house had a Patriot I had put in and i was so happy with it I stayed with the Lopi brand after our recent move:))
Three months
2000 sq ft
North / South (most of the time)
All settings
Don't need to use bypass damper - my set-up doesn't smoke when reloading
Usually let it run up to 700 depending on the amount of heat needed. Max temp was 750. Thermometer is on top, in the left front corner.
Clean this one with stove in place but removed front 2 burn tubes and baffle bricks to get to the stuff that didn't fall through the bypass.

Type of Lopi and how long you have owned it. Lopi Answer, 3 years

SQ footage heated 1250 square foot house, will heat all of it to ~20 degrees (house = 68 degrees average) and 2/3 of it when <20 degrees

Wood burning…loading method, and what gives you the most heat east west loading (no choice)

Settings when burning (fresh start, reload, established fire) reload at 350 degrees, start shut down of primary air at 500 degrees

Do you utilize your bypass? no bypass included on this stove

How hot do you run your stove and what was the max temp you have hit. normally run at ~550 degrees, have run it up to 750 degrees steady-state (hot reload of hickory)

Cleaning….do you pull your stove or just clean with the stove in place? chimney clean with stove in place - remove top firebrick when doing so

Mike821 said:

Endeavor, purchased spring 2009. The stove is burned 24/7.

Mike821 said:
SQ footage heated

Mike821 said:

Only load NS, tried EW once and learned I don't like reaching in a hot stove so never loaded that way again.

Mike821 said:

Usually burn it wide up till I hit a temp from 400-500 then start turning the air down. It's usually 3 or 4 stages before I get the air where I want it. Chimney has a strong draft so I almost always end up with the air shut completely down.

Mike821 said:

Yes, for reloads and start ups. As stated above the chimney has a strong draft so as soon as I have flames I close the bypass.

Mike821 said:

Anywhere from 600-750 this time of year. Max temp was pushing the 800 mark with the air shut down.

Mike821 said:

Stove never moves so it's cleaned where it sits.

Mike821 said:

Lopi Republic 1750i, since January 2010. Because I detest the heat pump.

Mike821 said:
SQ footage heated

Mike821 said:

Mostly NS, depends on the wood, sometimes the dang long ones have to go in diagonal. Full loads give best heat but we don't always do it full.

Mike821 said:

Usually burn it wide up till I hit a temp from 400-500 then start turning the air down. Depends on how fast it gets hot and if we are going to be in the house for long or not, or if we are sleeping. I turn it down more if we will be sleeping (to maintain the embers as long as possible) or won't be home that long (it's OK if the dogs get cold)

Mike821 said:

Yes, for reloads and start ups.

Mike821 said:

Anywhere from 500-750 this time of year. Max temp was pushing the 800 mark with the air shut down. (me too. Ugh, it was tense. It might have been higher than that... oops)

Mike821 said:
It's cleaned where it sits. I don't have the surround on it so it's not that hard. We had it professionally cleaned last week, the sweep didn't pull it either.

Cate said:
Mine is an insert, but I'll chime in anyway...

-Revere - purchased in March of '10. Burning quite regularly since November.
-1100 sq. ft. Cape.
-NS loading most of the time.
-Settings - all of the above. Depends on the situation. Weekends it's a constant burn, but it goes down to coals overnight if I don't load full before bed, and while at work. Restarts easily from coals unless I let them go out for cleaning.
-Bypass is always closed down for most effecient burn, except when the door is open for reloads.
-Max temp was about 800 - my freak-out lasted about 30 minutes until the temp started to drop. I keep the temp in the 400-600 range.
-Cleaning. I have not had the chimney swept yet, but I clean the inside with a stiff plastic brush...works great. I won't have it pulled out for the sweep - that was one main reason I got a Lopi. I didn't want the thing drug across my tile hearth every year.
-Wood - Silver maple for hot burns is under 10% MC. Mix of other woods - oak, hickory, locust, etc, chimes in at around 13% MC. I don't think I've burned anything less seasoned than 13%.
-Oh, and a steamer on top keeps the humidity comfortable and my skin from drying out. No static either!

http://picasaweb.google.com/102957219770268222674/FireplaceDoor?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_owf67ou_HQg#

That definitely isn't right and I don't know if it's the pin or what - maybe the door's warped? But your dealer should work with you on it because your pics document the issue very well. No way you're going to be able to control the air with a hole like that. If the dealer approves it, could you whack the pin a little with a rubber mallet or something?!

tickbitty said:
Cate said:
That definitely isn't right and I don't know if it's the pin or what - maybe the door's warped? But your dealer should work with you on it because your pics document the issue very well. No way you're going to be able to control the air with a hole like that. If the dealer approves it, could you whack the pin a little with a rubber mallet or something?!

Hi Tick - I disassembled the door handle last night with no luck. The handle still is loose and the door doesn't close any differently. In fact, removing a washer as the manual suggested made it impossible to close the door. The pin still won't go all the way down either. I'm beyond frustrated with it. Luckily the dealer scheduled a time to come out - in 2 weeks. *sigh* I was really hoping to fix it myself, but oh well.

Thanks all for your response. I think we are all doing just about the same thing. It works for me...so I guess changing things is not in need. The only thing now looking back at the string of posts is my running temp. My house heats well at 400 up to 20 deg. Below 20 deg I need some extra punch and usually run her at 500 as long as I can before coals settle in. Of course I rake my coals to the front when I have a good deal of them. Burn them down and load-er-up. I am still amazed at the heat this thing makes. Last months heating bill was 27 dollars. That was just for hot water to shower and the sink. This is down from 350 dollars. Chaching....chaching....money in the bank.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.