Felt bad renting the splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Brought my splitter for rental to a guy that dropped a huge tree that he didn't know the species.
I didn't have the heart to tell him it was poplar.

Brought my splitter for rental to a guy that dropped a huge tree that he didn't know the species.
I didn't have the heart to tell him it was poplar.
How often do you rent your splitter? Run an ad and rent to anyone?

gzecc, it is sad that so many do not know what they have. Shoot, if you don't know, ask questions and find out. It is sad when someone thinks they have beech and it turns out to be popple. I've also see folks think that soft maple is beech. Well, it does have smooth bark when it is young...

took a load of hard maple to a woman with a " massive maple" down she wanted me to look at. Turns out it was a big Basswood.

Reactions: ScotO
took a load of hard maple to a woman with a " massive maple" down she wanted me to look at. Turns out it was a big Basswood.

Same here, pretty much any tree down around that isn't a birch is a maple. LOL Bass, aspen.... yup big 'ol maple fer shurrrre.
TS

Yeah, I recently scheduled a job for November where the lady had two big "maples" that had these "nut-thingies" on it? So I went to look at these mystery maples, turns out they are a couple of huge (and locally rare) Kentucky coffeetrees! At least 3 nice logs for the sawmill and close to 3 cord of firewood from the tops. Yep, definately maples!:p;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.