Felt like I had joined the hillbillies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
I was out cutting this morning and pinched my bar. I was felling an oak about 14 to 16" across the base and I knew it was slightly tangled with some elm branches but did not look at all like that would hold it up from dropping. Had to take the power unit off as I did not want to risk it getting damaged. Got my other saw out to cut it free which I accomplished but it just slid off and dropped off the stump (it was leaning out well so not really much danger involved). All I could think about was the video on how not to cut a tree that was on this week. I already had half a pickup load cut and loaded so that oak would have just finished it off nicely. Did not take long to realize that elm was coming down too (it was leaning out over the corn field too). Now I have a good start on another load. I know pics or it didn't happen....just can't seem to get in the habit of taking the camera.

Sometimes even the best plans have flaws.

What matters was everything ended up OK with no injuries to you or damage to equipment (though that can be replaced).

Stuff happens when we least expect it & all you can do is move on & learn from the experience.Late last August I was dropping a 13" diameter 50ft tall Shagbark Hickory snag.Misjudged the lean of the tree & angle needed on cutting the notch & it got caught in a very large neighboring White Oak.First time anything like that happened in 20 yrs.Even with wedges the bar got pinched & I had to make another cut with a 2nd saw 5 ft up the trunk to free it.Still took winch & come-a-long to pull remainder of tree from that mess.No harm done just cost me an hour or so of extra work.

I took pics,though dont know exactly why now that I think of it lol

Thistle said:
What matters was everything ended up OK with no injuries to you or damage to equipment (though that can be replaced).

Stuff happens when we least expect it & all you can do is move on & learn from the experience.Late last August I was dropping a 13" diameter 50ft tall Shagbark Hickory snag.Misjudged the lean of the tree & angle needed on cutting the notch & it got caught in a very large neighboring White Oak.First time anything like that happened in 20 yrs.Even with wedges the bar got pinched & I had to make another cut with a 2nd saw 5 ft up the trunk to free it.Still took winch & come-a-long to pull remainder of tree from that mess.No harm done just cost me an hour or so of extra work.

I took pics,though dont know exactly why now that I think of it lol

I did bend the bar slightly I think but was about ready to buy another one anyway. I put it back together and it seemed like it was dragging slightly. When I made a cut from the top it looked as if the bar was bent. I'll get into that this week and decide what is going on there.

Glad it turned out okay even with a slightly bent bar. Don't feel bad about the camera. Seems most times I think about it when I'm already a ways from the house.

Well as long as you didn't try prying the tree off the stump with a pair of pliers or attempted to have sex with the tree I would say you did OK . . . we all have moments of humility in the woods.

firefighterjake said:
Well as long as you didn't try prying the tree off the stump with a pair of pliers or attempted to have sex with the tree I would say you did OK . . . we all have moments of humility in the woods.

Too funny.......no pliers and no humpin' except humpin' over to get my other saw.
Went back out last night night and got what was left and chunked up a maple to round out another load. Gotta quit haulin home until I get some split. Just a guess but know I have enough for winter of 2014-15 and may well be into 15-16.

Hey it happens to the best of them. No shame in it, and you did the right thing by taking the powerhead off of the bar. I did the exact same thing on Sunday, I knew it was going to happen but we had another saw and I knew we could get it out. I was bucking a 5' diameter oak log on the ground and was undercutting a section, and it shifted......so I fired up the other saw and cut a wedge from the backside of the round it was pinched in so the wedge could slide out with my bar. Works like a charm. I have done that on occasion, and that is the best way to get the pinched bar out. Just make sure your log is braced underneath so it doesn't drop like a sandbag. Use some splits or billets underneath the log before you do the wedge procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.