FEMA flood zones- parameters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
My flood insurance just went up $100 a month. This is based on the creek in the backyard, and that I am on the border of zone A&B, but classified zone A. The increase was caused by all the claims from other parts of the country being flooded, according to our insurance company. It was dictated by FEMA- according to them. So, has anyone petitioned FEMA for a re-classification of their flood-zone status? I am in no danger of flooding from the creek.....ever. I'd bet my dusty balls on that one. Advise? Thanks. JB

FEMA has been making it harder and harder for people to appeal their flood zone classification. I was able to get a friend out of a screwing about ten years ago, but they closed that loophole.

The flood insurance system is screwing those that live high and far from flooding to pay for those that live in a sure thing flood zone. It reeks of government abuse and political pressure. I have devised one way to beat the bastards.

If your property is large enough to subdivide, do so. Put the house and structures you want to insure on one parcel. Put the property in the flood zone on a second parcel. Get insurance on your house parcel which is now out of the flood zone. Only insure the vacant parcel for what you need covered(liability, etc). Of course this presumes the house and yard are above the designated flood zone.

They are going to keep revising the flood maps when they need more revenue until congress puts a stop to the unbalance in the system. That means those high and dry have to have more votes in congress than those sure to be flooded. But, if you are not yet in a flood zone, but are close, there is something you can do to combat future revisions. First subdivide. Then:

Raise(fill) the land near your structures that is out of the flood zone currently. That way, when they up the flood level a foot or two, the raised land will still be out of the zone. You can not raise the level of land already declared flood zone unless you go through an expensive process of getting a licensed professional engineer to certify the actions will not cause an increase of one foot or more in the design flood. Basically you are screwed. It would be cheaper to just pay more flood insurance if you are an individual.

There is a ton of information about flood zone mapping on the net. Some states have a flood control engineer on staff to help communities and individuals. Start with your county or city level government and read their flood control ordinance. Make a friend of a civil engineer or hydrologist. They can generally be found at the end of the bar in a boring tavern drinking Stag beer. Mine used to be smart enough not to drink and drive, so they would(not smart) start out alone walking home. Next they would wake up in jail. Generally the charge was public drunkenness. I used to keep enough cash at the house to bail them out.

JimboM, thank you !! I was going to approach the Fire Marshall on this, based on one suggestion. I would much prefer to scour the bars for an elected official (almost sounds like you've been here before?) Again, THANKS! Good info., hope others can chime in with a simple- press #1 for resolution to your problem. (press #2 for spanish) Thanks again. JB

Status
Not open for further replies.