Fence Posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Risser09

Jun 26, 2008
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
A woman at my work has a "truckload" of free sticks 4"-5" diameter that were used as fence posts. She says there are nails in them but they are visible (ugh). That's all the information she gave me. I'll go ahead and assume that they were good hardwoods which are really dry. Does anyone have experience/suggestions for me to get them to length and for burning them? Should I try to pull all the nails out before burning? Not gonna risk using a chainsaw, so should I use a handsaw/hacksaw/reciprocating?

Risser09 said:
A woman at my work has a "truckload" of free sticks 4"-5" diameter that were used as fence posts. She says there are nails in them but they are visible (ugh). That's all the information she gave me. I'll go ahead and assume that they were good hardwoods which are really dry. Does anyone have experience/suggestions for me to get them to length and for burning them? Should I try to pull all the nails out before burning? Not gonna risk using a chainsaw, so should I use a handsaw/hacksaw/reciprocating?

If they were actually "sticks" and not real fence posts, you are probably ok. 2 of the most common woods used for this was cedar and Osage orange. Osage orange is around the same density as granite. If the nails are visible, I would stick with the chainsaw, but thats me. I would also burn them, nails and all, just make sure of proper disposal of the ashes (no driveways, gardens, etc.)

I had a heck of a stack of old posts years ago, and borrowed my neighbors buzz saw and belted it to one of the old tractors I have around here. Made short work of the posts.

In PA, it could be osage. Split one and it should be bright yellow inside. Exposed areas will turn orange, then brown, then dark chocolate. It could also be cedar or locust- cedar smell and color is pretty distinctive, locust has a greyish off-yellow color to it. Hard to explain.

If it's not one of these obvious woods, then it may be treated and I'd avoid it (for instance- if it has a greenish color).

Burn it nails and all.

Most common fence posts here would be cedar and 4x4 chemically treated southern yellow pine.

My concern would be if these were treated. If so, stay away from them. If not, they would probably be okay but certainly not the best, depending on what type of wood it is. Could even be sassafras.

Thanks guys. To clarify, they are sticks with bark and all. I also suspected either Osage or Locust. Gonna pick them up after work.

From one fellow Keystone owner to another, congrads on the stove. You'll love it!

Free is good...if they're locusts that's supposed to be a wicked excellent wood if it's seasoned 2 years. I gave up on burning my locusts...too many coals for a long... long time and the thorns give my tractor flats...I cut 'em down as a nuisance tree.

We use ceder to fence for cucumbers, squash,snow peas...anything with vines...but I use 'U' nails to secure the fencing...be careful of them, of course the nails sticking out an inch or to will be an easy take to see and remove.

Yup, they could also be locust posts. That's what we had at the house I grew up in. The main thing is to make sure they weren't treated or dipped in anything.

Mostly around my area of PA the farmers used locust. That stuff is great to burn. The farmers liked locust because they could put it in the ground and for whatever reason the posts would not rot for a long time. Some old posts I had I would bet were fifty years old. I have no way of knowing that just what the guy told me that had them. The stuff burned super hot for a long time. Always have my eyes open for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.