Few more logs in today, Snowing again pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got 10 total so far. Working out with the smaller saw on the uneven ground.
Found a few thawed spots, went over my boots twice.
Started snowing, got to change quad from log skidder to snow plow while it's still daylight.

Attachments

• swp log1.jpg
    swp log1.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 587
  • swp log2.jpg
    swp log2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 595
  • swp log3.jpg
    swp log3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 590
Snow is pretty, but it's sure a lot of work! How did we ever live without those ATVs before? It's hard to imagine nowadays if I didn't have one, or three.

Nice set-up you have there, but why is the wood stack uncovered??

bogydave said:
Started snowing, got to change quad from log skidder to snow plow while it's still daylight.

Is that as light as it gets up there this time o' year or is it just cloudy?

Werm said:
It is covered, with snow! Looks perfectly normal to me.

quads said:
Snow is pretty, but it's sure a lot of work! How did we ever live without those ATVs before? It's hard to imagine nowadays if I didn't have one, or three.

quads, I've wondered about the same thing. lol

Dave is putting his snow blade on and today mine comes off.

bogydave,
Sure looks alot like my routine. "Changing from the skidder to the plow" caught my eye.
Any chance I can get a good look at that skidder? Was pulling from my rack last year and that worked fine until I broke
thru the ice. That sudden stop wasn't so good for the rack if you know what i mean?
rn

Werm said:

The high winds a few days ago took them some where? Now, not enough to cover everything.
I guess I could round up all the shingles in my yard & lay them on the wood :) LOL

Texas boy said:
bogydave said:

Is that as light as it gets up there this time o' year or is it just cloudy?

It's cloudy & snowing in the pics. I think we are over 6 hours of daylight now.
When the sun comes out & snow covered like the pics it's so bright you need sun glasses.

rustynut said:
bogydave,
Sure looks alot like my routine. "Changing from the skidder to the plow" caught my eye.
Any chance I can get a good look at that skidder? Was pulling from my rack last year and that worked fine until I broke
thru the ice. That sudden stop wasn't so good for the rack if you know what i mean?
rn

I hook the pull rope to the trailer hitch & use a nylon rope so it stretches.
The stretch helps when the log gets jammed, I set the brake & go un-stick the log & it shoots forward.
Sometimes I get pulled backward if I'm moving fast & it gets stuck & really stretches.
I'll try to get a pic of it next time I'm logging.
If it breaks, it's like a rubber band, I try to not put a chain or big shackle on the log end, so if it
breaks it won't hurt the machine or hit me in the back of the head :)
But now, I can't get enough traction to break the 1/2" nylon rope.

Skidding logs
I use a bowline knot to choker & hitch.
Got a few more, turned into a nice day.
Time to cut/split & stack.

Attachments

• skd lg1.jpg
    skd lg1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 351
  • skd lg2.jpg
    skd lg2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 352
  • skd lg3.jpg
    skd lg3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 357
  • skd lg4.jpg
    skd lg4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 349
Mostly splitting good, except a few twists.
Different color than the live stuff in the stack. A little more red color in the 1yr+ downed birch.
Still mostly good & solid wood.

Maybe I should keep it separate from the live stuff, it may season quicker,
What do you think?

Attachments

• wood grn.jpg
    wood grn.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 295
  • wood color.jpg
    wood color.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 298
If you're not in a hurry to season any of it and are plenty far ahead with your supply, I would just stack it all together. Otherwise, if you're pressed a little for time on your supply of seasoned wood, might not hurt to separate it.

Thanks Quad;
I don't think it will be ready for this season so I'll just keep adding it to the pile.
If I need more for this season , I have some standing dead spruce I could burn right away, just needs cut.
I have noticed, like the guys on the discussion "wood dries faster in the winter" debate
that the wood I stacked up 2 months ago has some cracks on the end grain, so maybe one of them is right, it dries
faster in the winter, but either way, it's showing signs of drying :)

Bogy it's nice too see you working away up there in the winter increasing your wood stores.
It's a good thing that it's dry enough there that your wood will dry even in the winter, cause I doubt that your summers are long enough to have much of an impact. I mean if your wood only dried in the summertime and it happens to rain on that weekend, I guess you'd be SOL. ;-)

Carbon_Liberator said:
Bogy it's nice too see you working away up there in the winter increasing your wood stores.
It's a good thing that it's dry enough there that your wood will dry even in the winter, cause I doubt that your summers are long enough to have much of an impact. I mean if your wood only dried in the summertime and it happens to rain on that weekend, I guess you'd be SOL. ;-)

Now be nice.
All those engineers were doing was measuring each others "bar lengths" ;)
"Cabin fever" time also.

Status
Not open for further replies.