1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Few questions on maintaining a hydraulic splitter.

Post in 'The Gear' started by Josh Hufford, May 27, 2013.

1. Josh Hufford

Josh Hufford New Member

Loc:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I just bought my first splitter about 2 weeks ago, a Huskee 22 ton. Other than the obvious maintenance to the motor like oil changes, do I need to do anything on a regular basis to the hydraulic system? The book really doesn't give any info other oil changes for the motor. I notice it has a filter for the hydraulic fluid. Do I need to change this periodically? Will hydraulic fluid need to be added from time to time? Or do you need to completely change the hydraulic fluid on a regular basis? Any other maintenance needed?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Shouldn't need to add any - changing kind of depends on how the oil holds up. Kind of a lame answer, but some hydraulic things tend to get moisture in the oil (the main contaminant IMO) more readily than others, for whatever reason, be it differing venting situations or whatever. I'd just keep an eye on it, maybe change the filter after a year & see how things look. Well, check the oil level every time you use it too - just in case it sprung a leak somewhere that wasn't noticed.

The main thing that helps with splitter maintenance I'd say is simply keeping it out of the weather - or keeping the weather off it if you don't have a place inside to park it.

Find it a bit odd that the manual doesn't address the hydraulic oil side of things any.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    My Huskee manual says to change the Hydraulic filter after the first 25 hours and every 100 hours after that.

Hydraulic fluid does not need to be changed unless it's dirty or milky/cloudy (has water in it).
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Yup, after that first one, 50-100 hours change that filter again. Keep an eye on the connections and for worn or cracked hoses. Manuals usually tend to advise changing the hydraulic fluid. Our splitter is over 20 years old and we've never changed it nor added to it and have split at least 300 cord so far.
  5. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    surplus army shelter halves make a great heavy duty cover and will keep a huskee 22 ton nice and dry

stabil (or startron, seafoam, or whatever your preference) is your friend when you put it away! a light coat of oil over any bare metal before storage (i pull it up on wood blocks to keep tires out of dirt during storage also and put it under the lean to)
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Yup, that.

If you're using hydraulic fluid, find out where it's going. You most likely have a leak. Change your engine oil within the first 10 hours of using the machine. This gets rid of the fine metal flake that winds up in the oil during engine break in.