Few trees from our area.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Smoke

Dec 9, 2008
Wv
I'm not a tree expert...if I named any wrong please correct me.

Black Birch

Hike08026.jpg

Black Cherry

Hike08027.jpg

Yellow poplar

Hike08031.jpg

Yellow Pine

Hike08034.jpg

Sycamore

Hike08035.jpg

Tight Bark Hickory

Hike08036.jpg

Red Oak

Hike08037.jpg

Black Oak

Hike08043.jpg

Black Gum

Hike08049.jpg

I think your Black Oak and your Black Gum might be reversed.

Ditto - that black oak is chestnut oak. And that tightbark hickory looks like Bitternut Hickory - I don't know if the locals call it tightbark or what but...

I think 'yellow pine' is a catchall term for a number of pine species. We have Jeffrey pines (world record holder is up the hill from my place) and Ponderosa, which are both apparently considered yellow pines. The local "Yellow" pine actually has yellow-tinted bark, that comes in large scales.

I had some of that bitternut hickory a couple years ago that I got off a jobsite,that was a bear to split with a maul.I'd have to see more of the pine tree,it looks like it could even be bull pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.